Jets over Tiger Stadium

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Sep 26, 2008.

1. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

4th it is. The 4th took over 2AD (Hell on Wheels) and they still have a light brigade at Carson.

That same gatlin we used to call in for fire, they called it specter fire. Puts a round down every square foot! Gawd, I loves me some A-10!

2. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Oh man you guys are bad. I had to go to the hobby store and pickup a couple of new models. I almost bought an A-10, but it was a snap-tite crap. I need to find a good warthog kit.

3. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Now you're going to make me tell another war story concerning the Hog. :lol:

I met and got to know Chad Hennings while he was a cadet at the Academy and an Outland Trophy winner. He had to serve a committment in the USAF. It wasn't until I saw him in the late '90s at the Academy did I learn that after he graduated from pilot training, he got assigned to the Hogs and flew some missions from Incirlik Turkey over Iraq. How they squeezed him into the cockpit of the Hog is a miracle. Had to be WD-40. Not only was he a hell of a football player, pilot, but the nicest and most genuine person you could ever hope to meet. Stardom with the Cowboys didn't change him one bit.

CajunlostinCali likes this.
  4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

[​IMG]

agree

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

My favorite plane is the AC 130 Spectre. Can you say 'Instant Death'?

Armament

40 mm cannon (background) and 105 mm howitzer (foreground)

* 4× 7.62 mm GAU-2/A miniguns
    * 2× 20 mm M61 Vulcan cannon
    * 2× 40 mm (1.58 in) L/60 Bofors cannon

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Then relocated to Hood, and now, all back at Carson again. 3rd ACR and 4ID have switched places.

7. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Wow, wasn't 3rd ACR in Bliss? All my homies these days are either drill or on the podium out at Knox so I am beginning to lose touch with who is who any more.

8. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Standard issue, 1 each ground pounder (intellect optional). I thought you were smarter than that (shhhhhh!)

9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Are they still in the inventory?

I saw its predecessor the AC-47 Spooky a couple of times in Nam. Those curving red tracer streaks were impressive.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The Wild Azalea Trail in Kisatchie Forest actually passes through a corner of an Air Force bombing and firing range. There are signs up warning hikers to stay on the trail and no stopping until they are out. We were out there in the early several times in the early 80's when B-52's from Barksdale were dropping practice bombs at the other end of the range, but you had to pay attention to know what was going on. The practice bombs just popped off a smoke charge and the BUFFS were above 30,000 feet.

But when the A-10's from England AFB came out it was extremely impressive. We could watch them roar over at tree-top level, but we couldn't see them at the target area about two miles away. But we sure as hell heard them and felt them. That 30mm gatling gun fires thermos-bottle sized rounds at 30 rounds per second. It's like a giant shotgun because all those rounds basically impact at the same moment. You hear a loud BRAAAAAAP then a second later WHOOOOMP and the friggin ground shakes 2 miles away!