jim wells

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by danthetigerfan, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

He was the pitching coach under Garrido at CFSU, and continually has some of the top pitching staffs in the nation. In '04, Windsor and Romero were the baddest 1-2 punch in the country. And this year, CSFU leads the nation in ERA. I really like the allure of having a dominant pitching staff...

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Very high quality coach and though not young he would probably be around for a good time. The only question I have is what was mentioned in an article about him being able to recruit his entire team in his immediate area. Although it should be fairly easy for him to recruit at LSU, I'd hate to see him do like Skip did in his last few years and let the assistants do ALL the recruiting. I believe he is a much better coach than Wells and would be a much better hire. JMO

3. Contained Chaos

Yeah, I've heard the argument that he doesn't know the area, and thus, would have a difficult time recruiting. However, I think the fact that he headed such a strong baseball program would really influence a lot of recruits. Since they've had such recent success, HS players would definitely know who he is. Plus, he may be able to pull in some top-notch guys from out west.

4. LSUFAN910

LSUFAN910 Founding Member

I read an article somewhere, I think it was in the advocate, that another prospective coach is the coach of College of Charleston. His team has done quite well this year. He has done a lot with so little. I wouldn't mind having him as our coach.

5. danthetigerfan

danthetigerfan Founding Member

I like Bianco or Ray Tanner

6. swoop

swoop Founding Member

I would love to see him come here but the only way I see him coming is if we put up big money to get him.

7. Contained Chaos

He ain't making much at all at CFSU. He would be making a lot more over here, despite the fact that Skip is a cheap-ass je....um, person.

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

From the perspective of a Bama fan...

You don't go to the CWS three times, regionals every year but two, win several SEC tourneys and average over 40 wins a year in your tenure, hitting 50+ wins twice, by being a terrible coach. All he did this year was take a team picked to finish near the bottom of the SEC West and share an SEC title, win their regional and host a super regional. while two CWS teams from last year, with almost all their talent returning, didn't even make the damned SEC tourney. He did it with solid pitching, decent defense and a decision to play small ball.

While some may think that just not good enough for the Tigers...it speaks for itself especially when considering the strength of college baseball in the South.

9. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

What is LSU did in the nineties is amazing. Of course we want that again. But to think any coach can do it is crazy. That is why that feat was simply amazing. May never happen again. I hate to talk about parody in the game these days, but they talk about it for a reason.
    LSU!:geauxtige

10. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

So, why in the hell are you trying to sell him to us? Just curious.

If you loved him so much, you would be making a case against him. Do you know something we don't. :hihi:

This type of talk sounds just like the hogs trying to sell us Nutt a couple of years ago.