Jimbo Fisher the next great coach?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, May 25, 2004.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

2. Geaux5000

Geaux5000 Founding Member

I think he knows that he is the guy when Saban goes to the NFL. Hopefully that will keep him here.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

good article, of course the less pub for jimbo for me, the better. shhhhhhhh he sucks. spread the word.

4. alaman

alaman Founding Member

There is more to being a great h.c. than being a good assistant or o.c. Remember Mike Archer or Bobby Williams? I personally, after meeting him several times, do not think he has greatness as a h.c. in his future.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

And isn't that the first thing an AD will look for. What Alaman thinks. You cannot be serious. You met him a few times and feel qualified to proclaim him unworthy? You, sir, have a mighty high opinion of yourself.

"To start blindly with a statement is a sign of arrogance and narrow-mindedness, and will lead to conflict. To start blindly with a question is a sign of uncertainty and honesty, and will lead to wisdom." - Scott Hume

6. DJ

DJ Founding Member

We can't be worried about the fact that assistants under Nick Saban can and will seek and find better opportunities in their profession. Believe me, Nick Saban does not worry about it, and he will even help Jimbo get the job when the right opportunity comes along.

Saban will always be able to attract top coaching talent to work for him, and if Jimbo and Muschamp end up getting prestigious head coaching jobs, that will all the more true.

At the end of the day, Jimbo Fisher has to do what is right for him and his family. Coaching is his profession, not a hobby. When the time comes for him to move to another coaching job, I think he will be able to do it in a way that is respectful to LSU and to Nick Saban.

7. alaman

alaman Founding Member

Yup. Notice I said great, not good. There are few great head coaches and we have one. Jimbo is not a Saban, Spurrier, Bowden, etc. which are among the great. When you meet a Saban, Bryant, Spurrier, Bowden, you immediately recognize an aura. Jimbo does not have that aura. People overlook Muschamp who may be the better choice. Before we annoint Jimbo as Saban's replacement if he ever leaves, we need to conduct a search and not make the same mistake we did with Archer and M. St. did w/Williams. Jimbo is a proven O.C. but not a proven h.c.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

BULLCRAP! Jimbo may or may not ever become a "great" head coach but whether he does or dosen't has nothing to do with some silly aura you didn't see floating over his head.

With Saban signing his new contract Jimbo will already be a head coach somewhere else by the time Nick leaves LSU. Probably as soon as the 2005 season. When Nick decides to head to the NFL Jimbo will have already proven his abilites as a head coach at some other school. I hope its not in the SEC against somebody we have to play.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

question is, have you ever met one before they were a great coach and knew it? lol

10. alaman

alaman Founding Member

Do you think Jimbo would have gotten the Academic Center? How about the new football complex? A great coach like Saban can. Aura is a way of carrying onself, the immediate respect one gets when one walks in a room, turns heads. Watch what happens when Saban enters a room and compare. A great coach takes an average program and turns it into a great program like the coaches mentioned above. Would not expect some to understand. I love Jimbo as an O.C. but it is a stretch to say he would be a great head coach at this time as he is an unproven head coach. Keep in mind last year Saban had to go to him and tell him to start passing more which coincided with our run. Just because he is an LSU assistant does not make him a future great head coach. A head coach also has to run an entire program and Jimbo is unproven in that area too. Time will tell.