Jimbo Leaning Towards Staying at LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JP4LSU, Jan 11, 2005.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Do ya think this had ANYTHING to do with the inconsistency at QB and the O-line? I guess I'm the lone hold out that doesn't want to lay blame for our offensive woes on Jimbo. That 'except one' position you talk about is the one he would rely on most to open up the offense and because Randall/Russell failed to live up to expectations, he had no choice but to go conservative. No one was really complaining about him until recently. And I still think the same thing about the criticism from last year. It's no secret that Mauck struggled with accurracy when throwing deep, so Fisher came up with some very innovative plays that catered to Mauck's strength's (which is what a good OC does) and was very successful. Do I think they got conservative at time? Sure. Did I like the playing calling 100% of the time? Of course not. But if we would've had better play at QB and better protection, you would have seen a completely different offense.

2. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Whoa, I never said Jimbo was the culprit for all offensive woes. Nor did I say that the offense was consistently bad. Far from it. If you see my earlier post, it shows that I'm conflicted about Jimbo b/c it depends on factors that I'm simply not privy to. Of course we would have had a better offense with a better QB. However, I'm also not that quick to lay all the blame on one kid, when it's the entire unit that must be effective (from play calling to play execution.)

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

In 2004 our offense was average I would have to say. In 2003 our offense was great. In 2002 is was avg. again. In 2001 it was great. We never had a terrible offense during Jimbo's tenure here.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Ok. I admit, I didn't read the whole thread. :grin: :redface:

Saying what I said though, I also don't think Jimbo is above criticism. I think the area he's lacking in is the development of QB's and helping them in their ability to read defenses, but that's more of a position coaches job than an OC's.

5. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

2003 - the offense saw some very conservative play calling at times and a lot of running between the tackles at times when I thought they shouldn't have. This happened when Saban was trying not to lose the game. I might not like it but I would probably be b!tching if he called a pass play and it was intercepted. So I will let that slide. All in all there was some conservative play calling in 2003. But our offense was 3 times better than it is now.

2004 - More conservative play calling but with inconsistency at QB, this was expected. Let the Defense keep the opponents from scoring and hopefully our running game can pull it out in the 4th. I can't really fault Jimbo for the lack of offense. Once again I think the QB was the issue. ANother thing to consider is that both QB's were completely different QB's, so you have to come up with a playbook that is favorable to both. Randall can scramble quite nicely whereas Russell can not.

I think Jimbo would be sufficient in conjunction with Miles. There would be some consistency in the staff and knowledge of the SEC. We need a QB coach though.

6. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I'm just surprised that it appears I'm the only person here that watched the Oregon State, Auburn, Georgia, Bama, and Troy State games. It's simply a FACT that the offense was terrible at times in those games. It was also OK at times too, which is what I've been saying on this thread all along.

I don't understand how you could argue otherwise (don't just look at the final point totals, which don't always reflect the offensive performance in the games.)

And just to reiterate, I'm not blaming Jimbo 100%, in case this is the only post you're reading.

7. j0nathanr0y

j0nathanr0y Founding Member

It dont think many will argue about the points on the board, I think its the simple fact that Jimbo Fisher's playcalling usually sucks. I am in college and played high school football, so I know a thing or two, but when I can sit in the stands and call out 75% of LSU's plays....THATS BAD!!! We almost always do the same things out of the same formation on certain downs! By the way....where the hell was the bubble screen pass to skyler green this year?!?!?! We used that sooooo many time last year, yet barely saw it this year.

Either way we go, I hope whoever is running things opens it up....BIG! I want to use JaMarcus Russells arm for all its worth. We should be throwing some serious deep balls with the speed of our WR's. But instead we throw 10 yard outs, the type of plays you run when you have BIG SLOW wide recievers. Opening it up for the long ball will only help the running game.

8. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

NoLimitMD, I must admit I to saw a lethargic offense at times. I to would yell at the screen, However I also realize the QB's and WR's played a role in it, poor passing or routes and several dropped passes.

I guess my point is... Well you make a good point, but I also realize that a good portion of the woes was not all Jimbos fault. Actually I thought last year was a bad year not for offense but for play calling, those options on 3rd and 8 or whatever.. Just brutal at times.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

long passes are not necessarily the way to go next year. its only good for desparate offenses (we may not always have a great O, but never desparate) or great ones. if your offense isnt efficient you cant afford to waste downs often. i think its by far better to recruit players that can make plays (we have them) and design short to midrange plays to get the ball to them. it would be nice to pass to te and fb more too.

10. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

I think he would have more. Saban was responsible for those times when the offense became bland and when we sat on a lead. I'm sure those were the times when Saban took the reigns from Fisher.