Jimbo on the QB saga

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tbass82, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Saban will start the QB that gives the Tigers the best chance to win. I just dont want to find out that MR is not that guy in the middle or the end of the AU game.

2. Ken Ross

Ken Ross Founding Member

I also spoke to an assistant on last fall and he told me that Flynn looked better than Russell. Was more of a pure quarterback and had a quick understanding of the system. I am kind of pulling for him, because if we remember, when Russell waited till the last minute to committ and we were all wondering if Robert "crybaby" Lane was staying or going, Matt Flynn was the first person to fax his papers in on signing day. He was a top rated quarterback as well, who gave his committment early and never wavered. Character. The #1 quality in a field general.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well TE, you have presented some facts that definitely merit some rethinking on the parts of Randall-haters. I do not think he is the answer, but at the same time, he has not been afforded the same opportunity as a Matt Mauck (e.g., non-con games). So who is to say he would not flourish with the nation's #1 defense, potentially the nation's best running back (and definitely the best overall running back corp), and some electrifying yet inexperienced receivers. It may be that any one of the 3 will flourish with all this talent. What a lovely thought.

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I trust Jimbo and Nick will make the right decision

5. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Anyone who thinks that Matt Flynn will be a better quarterback because he faxed his papers in earlier, or has more character because of it, or thinks anything based on that thought process is silly...

JaMarcus Russell is a physical specimen who can make any throw in the book, but from what I've heard was puzzled by blitzes in scrimmages...

Matt Flynn is a bookish young man who stuck his nose in the playbook very early on, and does have a good knowledge of the offense, from what I've heard.

I have heard that Russell knows the playbook as well as any redshirt freshman could be expected to know. Just not as well as Flynn. But, with a forgiving defense, playmakers at wideout, and Clydsedales behind him, I think that having a specimen who can grow into the position is more beneficial than having a guy with a lower ceiling on his potential future.

I have heard about NFL scouts who have compared Russell favorably during practice to NFL signal callers who have been to Super Bowls...

I have heard lots of things...but it's much too early to tell anything, other than the simple knowledge that when someone committed or faxed his papers in to LSU has NOTHING to do with how well they'll fare under center...

6. TigerEducated

You know...I still actually have FightinTIGER on my ignore list...But I actually used the option that I have thanks to Brett to read what he calls a rebuttal to what I said...

I'm guessing perhaps that FightinTIGER is using his ignore feature for me, as well, because he didn't read a damn thing I wrote...

FightinTIGER...what made Matt Mauck the quarterback he was? Was it the shoes? The color of his skin? The years spent with the Lansing Lugnuts?

I think it had a HUGE deal to do with EXPERIENCE.

How did Matt Mauck look against Virginia Tech? How did he look against The Citadel? How did he look against MofO? How did he look against MSU?

I will say it for you...Against Mississippi State University, Matt Mauck had the worst performance of any starting quarterback in the modern history of LSU football. PERIOD. 4-12, and not an attempt after the 2nd quarter. He made us SHUT THE PASSING GAME COMPLETELY DOWN.

You CONTINUALLY downplay the thought that Mauck got a fat record off of a fat and lazy non-conference schedule, while Randall was thrown to the dogs...Sink or swim...His bad games were against the top defenses in the conference, on the road, on NATIONAL TELEVISION, in pressure packed situations, not against some podunk team looking for a payday in a game that was televised on Tigervision, my friend...

Mauck was 24...Randall is two years younger...and never had the experience of professional sports, or the SEC Championship Game, or the ability to fail and be able to get back in there and rebound from his failure as Matt Mauck was allowed to.

Randall was the PLAYER OF THE GAME against Arkansas when we lost 21-20 because of the DEFENSE. Randall was the reason we were IN THE LEAD IN THAT GAME. PERIOD.

Randall was the reason we won the game against Kentucky.

Refute this statement, sir...

Marcus Randall was ONE Jack Hunt play away from guiding LSU to the SEC Championship game...REFUTE IT!

Had Jack Hunt stayed deeper than the deepest man, you could literally say that both Marcus Randall and Matt Mauck had guided teams to the SEC Title against Jawja...

You cry me a river and denigrate him as a player all you like, but you are mean spirited, and you FORGET the trimphant performances as he matured into the position...He played brilliantly against South Carolina. Tell me I'm wrong.

He played VERY WELL against Kentucky. Tell me I'm wrong.

He played VERY WELL against Ole Miss. He was SEC Player of the week according to the SEC....Tell me I'm wrong!

CBS awarded him the PLAYER OF THE GAME against Arkansas with the title on the line, even AFTER the defense blew the game! Tell me I'm wrong...

The Fox crew was comparing him to MICHAEL VICK in the 1st half of the Cotton Bowl...TELL ME I AM WRONG!

He guided this team to a 17-7 first half lead against Texas! Tell me I'm wrong!

The defense that he played alongside gave up 31, 31, 30, 21, and 35 points to end the season...TELL ME I AM WRONG!

Tell me that an offense with a quarterback with SIX career starts under his belt with NO early season to get acclimated could be expected to do any better?

Just shut up badmouthing a player whose given his all and succeeded on the highest stages in college football, or please tell me what you base your woebegone and misguided opinions on...

7. tbass82

tbass82 Founding Member

I trust what the coaches say over what I think. If Marcus Randall is named our starting qb, then i'll be the biggest Marcus Randall fan. But if he begins the season as our starter, and plays the majority of the snaps, then next year we will have two quarterbacks with still little, or no game experience. I think Randall has the skill and athletic ability, but I tend to question his decision making, although he played well in the Cotton Bowl, to me the game seemed to go downhill when he spiked the ball on the guys head (although i would have been pissed too if the guy was still all over me after the whistle). I think Marcus deserves and has earned the nod as the number 1. But if one of our other qb's shows that they will run the offense better, then I have no qualms about that.

8. TigerEducated

I think that Marcus will play in a platoon system, and he will probably-like he has been his ENTIRE career at LSU-take it like the team player he is...

Name one bad report or controversy he's stirred up. I am GUARANTEEING you he will wear his NC ring just like Mauck or Russell or Flynn...

I think that Flynn, Russell, and Randall will ALL see significant playing time, unless Flynn or Russell separates from the other significantly, and then you'll see a two quarterback system until one gets the nod over Randall...

Randall will be there to take over the reigns if one gets in over his head, but he will be more like a reliever, only seeing action if someone gets in trouble...

9. TigerEducated

LOL...Out of context stats...

How can you look at Mauck against Moo U, The Citadel, MofO, and VT and compare that to USC, Kentucky, Auburn, Bama, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and TEXAS?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. TigerEducated

How's this for out of context stats?

Randall had a BETTER completion percentage than did Mauck against INFERIOR competition...

Yawn...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.