Jimbo on the QB saga

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tbass82, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken Ross

Ken Ross Founding Member

I never said Flynn would be a better quarterback. I just mentioned that he committed early and never waivered on his committment. He could have gone to a number of other 1A schools and been the heir apparent to the starting position but he didn't.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The green Randall that was thrown to the wolves in 2002 is not the same Randall that is playing in the spring of 2004. I don't know who will emerge as the quarterback, but this much is clear to me.

Randall has his freshman mistakes behind him, has been in Jimbo's system two more years, has SEC game experience, can run (see Cottton Bowl), and has an arm (see Bluegrass Miracle). This guy is going to compete for quarterback in the spring.

Rohan was a little-used, mediocre reserve quarterback for 3 years and then had a 3,000-yard senior season. It happens.

And even if Randall doesn't earn the start in September, LSU will be damned fortunate to have a backup quarterback who can step in with experience and not have to throw in another rookie if a rookie starter goes down.

I think we should be encouraging Randall to try to earn the start. Who does it hurt? If he turns out to be our best QB in August, I want him to start. If he doesn't get it, he will have given his best shot, pushed the starter to be better, and will be available to serve as a steady senior backup to a freshman who may go through some growing pains and need relief at some point.

It's bad for the team for us to be bashing this guy too hard while we discuss the situation. He's our guy.

3. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Hey guys, keep this in mind when analyzing Jimbo's comments:

Marcus Randall has worked hard, done his best when called upon, and most importantly never uttered a peep in protest when he was placed back on the bench last season.

That team-first attitude has to have made an impression on the rest of the team.

Having Randall going into the spring as the #1 makes sense not only b/c neither Flynn nor Russell have not taken a single in-game snap, but because to NOT at least begin the spring with your only Senior at the position as #1 might be seen as a sign of disrespect by the other players who have come to respect Marcus and all of his hard work the past few years.

4. jhunt

jhunt Freshman

I love Mauck as much as the next guy, and I know without him we wouldnt have had our first NC in however many years.
    That said, comparing Randall's numbers to Mauck's doesnt do anything for me, b/c Mauck was NOT a great quarterback. he was a winner, and that made up for his lack of stellar QB skills.
    How many of you, right after the Florida debacle, believed Matt Mauck could lead us to a NC? I sure didn't, b/c he was horrible in that game. I dont want to rely on another QB who has horrible games, b/c I dont think we'll find another one like Mauck, who can win despite all that.
    So, if Flynn or Russell is a legitimate NFL caliber QB, I'd rather see them on the field this year.

5. e271828

e271828 Freshman

I was speaking with a friend of mine who went to UF and is a big Gators fan. He reminded me that at UF, everytime a senior QB left, there would be a lot of speculation as to who would start: incumbent with experience, or stud freshman. Well, no matter what, it was always less than ideal.

No matter what you think of Spurrier, the man was undoubtedly great with QBs, and he still only won one NC!

I don't want to get my hopes up only to be disappointed. I'm still enjoying the NC we have now, and will not be unhappy with a 9 or 10 win season next year! I trust Saban to make the best decision for the team (does that mean play the most talented? the most experienced? I don't know, but that's why I don't make 2.3 mil a year!)

Don't get me wrong, I still read these threads and enjoy the speculation :)

6. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

What exactly have you seen from Flynn or Russell that would make you believe they are a legit NFL caliber QB?

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

We don't know if they are legitimate NFL caliber QB's, we don't even know if they are college caliber QB's till they actually play. My guess is one will rise to the top and be a very good one but that's only a guess, just like everyone's. For every can't miss QB who has become good or great I can give you five that were average or worse. The only criteria that should apply when deciding who should start this year should be who gives the team the best chance to win this year and this year only. The coaches will make that decision based on that fact alone I truely believe. Of the past 25 Parade All American QB's about 5 ended up being very good, so let's not annoint anyone the greatest just this yet. They don't need that pressure on them.

8. jhunt

jhunt Freshman

i said "if", didnt I? I guess I should have said, if either one of them has that kind of talent and potential, I'd rather see them on the field.
    Randall simply doesnt have that potential.

9. MEW4thTiger

MEW4thTiger Founding Member

i belive the qb position has as much to do w/ confidence than anything else. if anyone went to the Miss State game you could see after LSU was up something like 21 pts Randall came into the game and couldn't move the ball to save his life even w/ all the starting o in the game. i was sitting 9 rows off the field right behind LSU's bench and i saw saban getting very furstrated w/ randall, mauck was trying to help him, and randall would get on the phone and have a talk w/ the man upstairs. my point being is that NO ONE LOOKED CONFIDENT IN RANDALL - NOT EVEN RANDALL.

i belive next season will go as such: Randall - unfortunatly will get the start and as we start to pick up losses you will see the back up - whoever wins the battle in camp.

for some reason our coaching staff believe's in randall - i'm not sure why...... i just hope they are right.

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Saban was frustrated about the whole second and third teams, not Randall, about his freshmen runnig backs fumbling, his wide receivers and line missing blocks, etc., as he said to reporters after thengame. And I would have to say that if you could read what you read into it from watching on T.V. you're pretty damn good at reading minds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.