Jimbo on the QB saga

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tbass82, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EliteLSU1

EliteLSU1 Founding Member

2 things that I CAN wait to see.

1) MR throw another ball as far as he can. The game after the Bluegrass Miracle(which was all luck) MR threw at least 8 bombs looking for that miracle again. When we needed a first down he was thinking TD. He was patterned to do this in all of the rest of the games that year and the ones that he got in this past year.
    2)MR running with the ball in one hand like it was a loaf of bread. Very lucky several times that the fumbles went out of bounds.

One more note:
    In the Arizona game MR threw a long TD pass and the camera caught him going to the sideline where Mauck was waiting to congratulate him with a high five. Marcus seemed to look at him and turn away as to not acknowledge him.

Maybe this wasn't what it seemed or maybe it was. The only thing for sure is that none of us know how he really acted being benched. Maybe he was graceful but maybe he wasn't!!

2. sos

sos Founding Member

3. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

The QB position isn't my only concern. We are losing Stephen Peterman, Rodney Reed, Eric Edwards, Michael Clayton, Devery Henderson, as well as Matt Mauck on offense. I believe we will see considerable growing pains from our offense. Next years' schedule is a little tougher. I hope we win 9 with a bowl game making 10. I know we have great recruits, but we will miss the above players.

4. NOSA

NOSA Founding Member

Russell knew he was going to LSU.(coaches most likely did also) He just liked the attention more than Flynn did. Plus he was a bigger recruit who got more press. It was known early that day that Lane wasn't coming.

I think the job is Randall's to lose.

5. Obi-Wan Tiger

Obi-Wan Tiger Founding Member

Tennessee "wasted" time on a QB that was leaving the next year and all it got them was a National Championship. I will say this...suppose Russell or Flynn win the job and one of them turns out to be a stud. He will more than likely turn pro after his junior year right? So he only plays for 3 seasons. On the other hand, suppose Randall wins the job and keeps it for the entire season. Then Russell or Flynn gets the job as a sophomore and likely plays out his eligibility. I realize anything could happen, but I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that IF I only get 3 years out of them, I would rather it be as Soph, Jr, Sr, rather than Fresh, Soph, Jr. I just think it's better from a maturity and leadership standpoint.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Agreed, TigerEducated

Great post!

7. Da-veed

Da-veed Freshman

IN SABAN WE TRUST Positions being awarded on promises or to coaches favorites usually destroy teams in any sport at any level. Saban only plays the one that has earned it. That includes knowledge, leadership, preparation and talent.

Jimbo has done a great job developing QBs at Aub. and here. Saban likes the known quanity and low risks. I wouldn't be suprised if we run a low risk offense and depend on defense until he gains confidence in whoever he feels has earned the starters spot. Low risk dosn't mean low score. With the talent at our skill positions it should be play safe and get the ball to your playmakers.

8. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

FightinTIGER...Just to let you know...I've once again went back to ignoring your posts...Especially after that, "you can't tell me I'm wrong because it's the intangibles that I 'just know' he'll never develop"...

When you make your first million in the scouting business and take Chris Landry and put him out of work...Lemme know, big guy...

9. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

BTW-To whoever said that the defense didn't have a HUGE part in losing games for us in 2002...

Tell me, PLEASE, what was the reason we ended up losing in Arkansas 21-20 instead of winning 20-14?

Was that Randall playing safety, or Jack Hunt? Oh, by the way...Why wasn't Damien James back deep? Hmm...

So, Damien James and the defense didn't cost us our shot at what is one of our perennial goals, and our key to a BCS bowl? Would he have made a difference when we needed someone "deeper than the deepest man"? Was it not universally agreed that Jack Hunt was a year away from being the safety he needed to be, the safety he was in 2003?

Gimme a break...Randall was ONE play away from being the guy at the controls of a team that went to the SEC Championship game three years in a row with three different quarterbacks...

The excuses about knocking him don't hold water...

10. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

TigerEducated,

I agree with everything you have said....

Randall Bashers,

We will be absolutely fine with Randall at QB......you say he is just an average QB?? well most people would have/did have that title put on Mauck after his injury last season, and look what happened in a year.......and in my opinion Mauck wasn't a great QB this season either, just a good one..

LSU with Randall at QB will be in a good position to make another run......if one of the freshmen step and shows they are better than Randall then thats fine too........but quit bashing the guy!!

here are some stats I pulled from a post on 12-20-2002 by Hub

Rushing
    Mauck: 50 for 175, 3.5/carry, 29.2/game
    Randall: 62 for 270, 4.4/carry, 27/game

Passing:
    Mauck 63 for 130 (48%), 782 yds, 9 TDs, 2 Ints, 130.3/game, 119 Eff.
    Randall 68 for 136 (50%), 980 yds, 6 TDs, 4 Ints, 98/game, 119 Eff.

Mauck put those #'s up vs: Va Tech, Citadel, Miami (OH), Miss St, ULL, Florida

Randall's #'s vs: S. Carolina, Auburn, Kentucky, Alabama, Ole Miss, Arkansas

Not that Randall blew Mauck away or anything but his #'s are very comparable against tougher competition.

Also, Randall per game stats are skewed he played in 10 games.....4 of which are mop up duty. would be 45/game rush, 163/game pass.

Hub's Post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.