Jimmy Taylor Died

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by 65Grad, Oct 13, 2018.

1. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

Just saw it on a crawl during Bama and Mizzou. Wow Cannon and Taylor in the same year.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Again? How many lives did that guy have? :D

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I know he was a great Tiger, but I vaguely remembered something Jerry Kramer wrote about him in one of his books. I did a search and found it. From "Distant Replay", the book he wrote that was basically a "Where Are They Now?" of the first Super Bowl team on its 25th anniversary.
    (back story: Taylor, Kramer and Urban Henry - the only Morgan City High School graduate to ever play in the NFL - started and co-owned Packer Diving in MC in the 60's.)
    "One night, we all got together at Urban's shack in the swamp to discuss the company's finances - and Jimmy's debt. Jimmy took a wad of money out of his pocket and, with a big show, like he was giving Urban a gift or something, he peeled off 17 one hundred dollar bills. Like a real big shot. Urban reached over and slapped Jimmy in the face.
    Jimmy, still in terrific shape, still working out every day, just sat there with his head bowed, and Urban slapped him again. Jimmy got up and Urban slapped him again … Not once did Jimmy act like a man … I couldn't believe what I was seeing, this romping, stomping fullback who had always shown such fire on the field, who had punished people as big as Urban, acting like a whipped dog with his tail between his legs."

4. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Sad story makes me want to look up this Urban asshole and bitch slap him. Can't believe Taylor allowed that must have been going through some difficult times, sad.

5. mctiger

Well, first of all, Urban Henry died 30 years ago. Second, the article where I found the excerpt made it pretty plain that Kramer thought Taylor screwed both he and Henry. Article said that at the Super Bowl team reunion, Kramer and Taylor were standing right next to each other and neither said a word to the other.

6. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Thanks for clarifying but it's still sad to hear this about one of my all time favorite LSU football players. As far as Urban my view is I don't care what Taylor did or didn't do you just dont let someone slap you and it bothers me Taylor let him get away with it.

7. mctiger

I agree. Every aspect of the story is disturbing. Tell you what; I know a couple of Urban's relatives. If I get a chance, I'll ask if they know anything about it.

8. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

My late brother Eddie remembers Taylor. His favorite story was when a coach asked Taylor why he deliberately would turn into opposing tacklers he said "Got to sting em a bit coach".