Jindal on Schools...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by JD, Oct 20, 2003.

1. JD

JD Founding Member

ll

2. ikoikoiko

ikoikoiko Founding Member

How specific can you get in a short debate answer?

His website gets VERY specific on a lot of issues.

3. Mr. Wonderful

Mr. Wonderful Founding Member

When it comes to education, I always demand specifics.

I'm thrilled with the Bush/Kennedy "NO Child Left Behind" law for example. So many specifics, so bi-partisan, so PRO-EDUCATION! When it comes to education political talk, I just can't get enough of it. I don't know if you've heard this before, it may be something I made up, but...education...it's for the children and our future. Have you thought about that? I think its about time at all levels of government, we started paying more for education. No doubt about it. I'm coming out in favor of education, officially, today, specifically, without reservation.

4. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Discipline is a matter that is vague by nature, and it changes from district to district, school to school, and even classroom to classroom. What Jindal or Blanco could do about that is beyond me.

I don't think more state regulation is the answer here. No teacher should have to consult a rule book every time a child acts unruly. Teachers should have wide discretion in this and should be backed up by the principals and school boards. School districts cannot tuck tail and run everytime a parent threatens to sue when "little Johnny" gets told to sit down and shut up.

I guess, for violent schools, like some in New Orleans, an armed police officer in every classroom might work? That seems kind of stern though. I would hate to think it has come to that.

Oh, and about that progressive minority thing. What's not progressive about having a woman governor?

5. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Jindal was in favor of the Constitutional Amendment on the state taking over faltering schools, and spelled out specifics regarding his support of it...

He's also in favor or removing children who present behavioral problems from class, helping to streamline the process of learning and helping those children who are able to make it through class without more than a now and then conduct problem.

He doesn't favor leaving those behaviorally challenged children behind, just removing them from normal classrooms where they retard the current educational process...

That's just for starters...

Go check out his website...You know the URL...I've linked it to you many times before this...and you know it! Join the bandwagon...Like he says...We need a problem solver, not a politician...

6. Mr. Wonderful

I think you misunderstand what schools are today.

Schools are laboratories (of the psychological variety), babysitters, day care centers, athletic scholarship generators, self-esteem providers and health and welfare clinics, too name a few.

The public schools must gyrate and be flexible enough to provide everything a student could possibly need or want, whether its emotional, physical...and,on occasion, educational. No longer is it expected that the "student" will conform to the standards of the school structure. Quite the opposite, the schools must now conform to the needs and demands of the student (and the parent(s) and "advocates").

7. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Mr. Wonderful,

Would you not agree that our society, our collective education levels, our level of exposure to information, and our collective conciousness hasn't been expanded exponentially over the course of time?

Technology changes because society hastens it, and it in turn hastens society to change as it does...It brings us closer-together, to information, to the brink, to the edge, to each other, to loved ones, to the farthest reaches of both our world and our universe, to almost any piece of information we desire-in almost every facet of our lives...

As our society changes, all institutions have changed with it. Socrates, I believe it was, founded his own University, an the goals of it were much different than current day universities.

The thing is, though, ole Socrates would also agree that his University was much different than educational institutions of our grandparents grandparents here in the Antebellum South...and they would agree that their grandparents grandparents schooling was much different...

From computer labs of my days at Denham Springs High School to Abraham Lincoln's "Blab School" Log Cabin education in Illinois in the early 1800's, education and its institutions of conveyance will continue their amoeba-esque impersonation for a long time to come...

Times change, Mr. Wonderful...and institutions with it...It is the one constant in all of our lives...

8. Mr. Wonderful

Oh, I'm all for giving big juicy government contracts to Dell, etc.

If you are referring to technology changes, we gots to have computers in school, and access to the internet to increase productivity. We know that works from a productivity standpoint whether in a classroom or office cubicle. Internet access increases productivity, I'm well aware of that fact.

What I'm referring to is the public schools, may God bless them (of course!), have become dumping grounds for parents who can't or won't control their fine young fruits of loins in the homestead, and if the school can't handle them,,,,,"they" get sued. We have a bunch of retards that we don't want to "leave behind" (thank you President Bush!),,, well genetics and/or the parents left them behind. But unfortunately they show up in the public school system to bid their time, and waste everyone elses, until they are legally able to be released from the public dime (or at least that part of the dime).

I'm heretofore coming out in favor of education...and for leaving children behind for the betterment of such. Is Jindal or Blanco in agreement?

9. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

Jindal is also a right wing nut who favors vouchers, which means he does not support public education and may wish to see it diminish.

Anyone for vouchers is worthless.

10. ikoikoiko

ikoikoiko Founding Member

CottonBowl 66 would actually rather

relegate the poor to their current, worthless schools. Just because he probably attended a good school, he feels poor black children should have no alternative to the PRISONS they have been sentenced to in places like New Orleans. While folks in St. Tammany get educations, CB66 thinks the kids in New Orleans should get raped and shot while Blanco spends 100 million commissioning studies by blue collar groups to try and figure out something to help those schools. While school board members are making sure their friends get millions in consulting fees and the schools get none of the money, the kids and their parents should not have a choice. While 2000 folks get paychecks they shouldn't, the kids should sit in filth that the administrion has provided them.

Vouchers are a LAST choice but they are not worthless. You just care more about your politics than poor black children.