Jindal- Plan for no state income tax..

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Jan 15, 2013.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Jindal says property taxes won't be increased. It is a recipe for failure. The states that have no income tax have very high property taxes, high gasoline taxes, and other taxes.

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Can you link to that. I just haven't seen any comments from the Governor's office regarding details. Folks I know at DOR and LED say details are still being worked on, and at this point it is unknown what will increase or by how much to compensate for the loss of the income tax.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

http://theadvocate.com/home/4597073-125/jindal-eliminate-income-taxes

State Rep. Joel Robideaux, R-Lafayette and chairman of the House Committee on Ways and Means that would first hear any legislation, said there are only so many options for replacing nearly $3 billion in income tax collections.
    The options include increasing property taxes, which he said the governor opposes, raising sales taxes, getting rid of tax breaks and implementing sin taxes, he said.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Ok, so like I thought. The Gorvernor's office hasn't said anything publically. We'll see what form this takes when legislation is drafted.

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I don't see how it could be done without lowering the homestead exemption, but I know that's the third rail of Louisiana politics.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I just don't understand how anyone could think that a 13% sales tax would be a good thing...

7. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

oh you're wrong my friend, plenty of conservatives believe that in order to lower any other taxes. It shifts the burden on people who buy the bulk of consumer and essential goods.

8. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Supa, you're right. Nothing official yet but the plan that I read was to increase state sales tax to 7% from 4%. I don't see how that gets us revenue neutral but whatever.

Rex,

Are you arguing that sales tax is not regressive or just that it is the fairest way to tax people?

9. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Well then I'll call you poor.

And yes that is correct. A fair balance.

10. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Regressive is just a sensationalism word. The meaning itself has a negative connotation.

When you go across a toll bridge EVERYBODY pays. But when it comes to the country. Some pay more and some pay none. If I have to pay more why shouldn't the none have to pay some?