JJ deserves his own thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU_4_LIFE, Nov 6, 2010.

1. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Yes we struggled for most of the 1st half, but the last 2 min's were the difference in the game. As I watched JJ and the O, all of the sudden having success, my 1st thought was these are insignificant plays because Bama is really just playing soft and prevent. Little did I know it would translate into the confidence builder JJ needed to light it up in the 2 nd half. Great job all around.

2. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

I'm really happy for Jefferson. With all the negativity he's heard for 2 years, he never gave up or complained. He kept going out there, week after week, boo after boo, and played. So he deserves praise for yesterday.

I compare it to Justin Vincent. After his freshman year, JV fell of the planet and was nowhere to be found. But he never complained or gave up either. And was actually a very good special teams player.

I just hope Jefferson can keep it up. We don't need him to be Cam Newton. We just need him to be efficient and get the ball to our playmakers. If he does that, then AU might be the only loss we have this season.

3. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

JJ did have a great game (second half anyway) & the block on the reverse was super. I'm just wondering why Peterson didn't score on that play, seems he got his feet tangled up or something, a simple dive or lowering the shoulder would have gotten him in ?

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

He said after the game that he was worried about fumbling if he tried to dive or bull his way through the defender, but he knew that Ridley could carry it in from the three. In retrospect, it may have been the smart play.

Jefferson threw a great block on that play or Peterson would have been tackled on the 10 or 15. Jefferson had a good day altogether, both quarterbacks did well. Both have gotten a lot of criticism and deservedly so, they bumbled their way to the bottom of the offense rankings. But the only way to stop the criticism is to play yourself back into the game and they did.

5. boblinfoto

boblinfoto Ohio LSU fan/artist

The victory over Alabama was by far, the best game Jefferson has had since the Chick-Fil-A bowl in 2008 , when he dominated the game. JJ showed then in 2008 what he was capable of, and then disappeared into oblivion until yesterday in Death Valley 2 1/2 years later.

Yesterday's game was one of the most exciting LSU victories and ranks up there with the national championship game win over Ohio State in 2007, a game I still frequently watch on tape.

Like my avatar, I proudly claim--"ILUVLSU". GEAUX TIGERS!:thumb:

6. Jester

Jester Founding Member

Two points I'd like to make............1 opinion, 1 fact.

First, the reason I think JJ was able to play well today has to with his mentality. Which two games were we expected to lose this season? Auburn and Bama. Now, some may say Florida, but I disagree. So, all week, everyone in the media has been writing us off. The players hear that and I know that within the team, everyone feels like they can win any game, but hearing the media has its effect, too. Now every other game, Jefferson is stressed. He is worried about losing his starting spot to Lee, he is taking heat from the fans. He also knows that with our awesome D, expectations for this team are much higher that the last two seasons. In each game that we are "supposed" to win, his below par performances becomes even more of a sticking point. Yet, going into 2 games that we are expected to lose, if we do lose and the offense plays poorly, he gets flack, but not nearly than if he is the cause of an unexpected loss. I think that frees him up to go out and give it all he's got and play with the freedom to just go for it. That leads to him being looser and more relaxed.

Secondly, I'm damn glad the coaches have caught on to something that my father and I have been saying since Jefferson started playing QB..........roll out. Doesn't matter if its a drop step pass, shotgun snap, or play action......Jefferson is a much bigger threat on the roll out........and if you really look back, he actually throws better most of the time when he's on the run. When he's in the pocket, his peripheral vision is generally poor. That, added to him taking forever to let a play develop and his long throwing motion means sacks, batted balls, and cut off throwing lanes which means interceptions and bad passes. Rolling out gives him more time, gives him better vision of pass rushers, and makes him a more significant running threat. Some people might say that the defense will try to compensate. So what? We can roll out to the weak or strong side and if they try to bring a safety or CB up to cover the run, we can drop plays into the seam or deep flat all day long. Thankfully, in this game, I saw JJ rolling out quite a bit.

7. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Great Game.. JJ carried the team and JL did what we asked him to and he produced in the clutch.

One thing we will see the staff working more on with JL is getting rattled in the pocket. The last 2 games he got happy feet in the pocket and threw off his back foot. The coaches focused on this last week.

We need both of these QBs to be successful and I believe they will continue to grow.

However, expect JJ to get more snaps from here on out given his running ability and the gained confidence from this game.

Big Props to the WRs in this game as well. It they continue to be consistently reliable we will see similar performance from our QBs.

Also, last week Miles and Crowton added a few new plays and packages and they may have found something to build on.

1 person likes this.
  8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I have to admit I didn't think he had another Auburn '09 game in him. But he proved me wrong, and I hope this is a big monkey he's finally gotten off his back. When you can find ways to move the ball against Bama's defense, you've got a shot to beat anyone.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

This is the Jordan Jefferson we have been waiting to see. If he can just play like this, no turnovers, smart football, run when you have to, throw the ball away when there is nothing. He didn't light the world on fire, but the thing is, he doesn't have to. All he needs to do is play consistent, and not make stupid decisions, and he did a great job of that yesterday. Kudos to Jarrett Lee also for making that 3 down strike to Randle.

10. bamaga

bamaga Freshman

I agree, Julio Jones played a good game. one of our few bright spots. Oh, that wasn't the right JJ?:yelwink2:
    Jefferson played a good game, especially down the stretch.

ROLL TIDE!