Job interview etiquette?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by lsu99, Apr 10, 2014.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

On the 1st paragraph that I quoted, most of the turnover has been in upper management positions. Not that I'm making a point but just that there have been quite a few restructurings so supervisors have come and gone while the problem employees have remained. So it's just difficult to place blame with a specific manager or group of managers.

I've always had good relationships with colleagues and have more or less avoided problem employees from other departments. I'm probably just spooked by hearing stories from friends and former co-workers in what they've had to deal with at their companies. I'm hesitant to leave a good job situation for another job that is a step up but requires going in blind to direct reports. Job stress is much easier to deal with than people stress.

2. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Joining in late and shooting from the hip...

Don't ask to see personnel files until you are officially hired. IMHO, doing this might put both you and your employer in legal murky waters. Also, as a manager you need to evaluate the team you inherit on your own. Personnel files can contain false or misleading information - especially in the case of 360 peer reviews where vengeful co-workers gunning for a co-workers job and salary can anonymously insert injurious information with a surprising latitude of impunity.

Go in and set an actual 45 day window for a "90 day evaluation period". At the end of 45 days you'll know who the keepers are, who the definite castaways will be, and who you'll need to seek feedback from your top customers from. The latter point is key as sometimes you have the person that the rest of team may not fully be comfortable with or mesh with 100% but who will go to the extra yard for key accounts.

Good luck.

lsu99 and LSUDad like this.
  3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I wouldn't ask if you have the power to terminate. It costs less to coach an employee that's not up to par into a good employee rather than terminating, hiring someone new and training that person.