John Brady costing himself the stretch run, and he can't explain it on live radio...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEducated, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

8 years of Brady and he basically has no bench. I think this team at best will break even in SEC play and that will not make the dance. My concern is a break even record in conference and a probable Nit bid and Skip might bring Brady back.

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i wonder if a 8-8 sec record will get us (or any other sec bubble team)in the tourney? usually i would say no with no big wins, but i think it'll be tough for them only to pick 4 sec teams

3. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

The RPI for the SEC right now is 6th and I saw the other night on ESPN the SEC is 1-14 against teams from the other 5 conferences ranked higher than the SEC. Right now I see Kentucky, Florida, Alabama as in unless something unforseen happens.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Well, look at what the damn cat dragged in. :dis: :dis:

5. -T-

-T- Founding Member

saban fan with the nice addition to the arguement. just like the old days. :thumb:

i remember arguing about brady with you a long time ago. are tnt and mikeD still hardcore brady boys?

6. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

How many years has it been since we had sanctions?
    2 or 3 years?

If I remember right we had one hell of a team in 2000, I believe that we
    had sanctions that year so you can't really look at his SEC record and
    say its bs IMO, because of sanctions.

Sanctions or not you should still be around .500 or a little less.
    What was our SEC record last year?
    1 game under .500 if I remember right and I think it will be worse this year but
    i'm hoping for the best.
    After last year and depending on the rest of the year if we can't have a winning record in the SEC, just good enough to make the tourney Brady should geaux.
    Bradys record doesn't tell the whole story such as the way he conducts himself with his players, they seem to have problems relating to each other
    at times and that can't help the teams morale.
    That also leads to tranfers which partially means no bench.
    I still don't understand why Brady didn't recruit some of those kids instate
    last year.

What disturbs me the most is we have a 7 man rotation on NO bench.
    We had a better team in 2000 and a deeper bench.
    Where is Temple and why isn't he playing?

You say its harder to make the tourney than when Dale was here, could someone tell me why this is true?
    I must confess that I don't watch college basketball like I once did, have
    wife and kids running around the house so I don't have the time.

7. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

Classic fan dilemma

Let's say you're a Tiger BB fan that honestly believes the program is in bad shape and needs a change at the top (new head coach). And you consider yourself to be a "good fan." Do you root for the team to win, or do you root for them to lose? You're afraid that if they win some games, maybe eke out a decent SEC record, maybe sneak into the big dance, or more than likely lumber into the NIT, that the powers-that-be will be encouraged and feel justified in retaining Brady, and, in your heart of hearts you think that's a bad thing. If they lose however, and the bigger the better, then Brady's demise is cinched.

Let me be blunt. No good purpose would be served by firing Brady in midseason. Period. Let's see how the season plays out. What if they run the table, earn a NCAA berth, and make an impressive run in the tourney? Fire Brady then? (i.e., see Jim Haslett, New Orleans Saints, 2004). Not likely you say? Then you have nothing to worry about. I will agree that it appears to me that the program is in poor shape. Attendance is atrocious. Fan interest is low. Players leave the program. Bench strength is weak. Unacceptable status in a coach's eighth year of his tenure? Maybe so, maybe so. I just have a problem with criticizing the coach's postgame interview comments, when he's just won the game. As I said, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If I 'm Brady, and my team just won a hardfought game, and you're criticizing me for the thoughtfulness of my postgame comments, with all due respect I'm telling you to KMA.

Support the team the rest of the year. If they fizzle, voice your displeasure to Mr. Bertman. He probably won't be able to ignore all those empty seats and he'll probably see the necessity of making a change.

8. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Re: Classic fan dilemma

I will be truthful and say that I've already thought about this and do have this delimma.
    I honestly don't believe this team is anywhere as good as 2000 and thats part of the problem IMO.
    The program should progress over time, is there anyone honestly around here
    that think this is the case rather than the latter.
    I think this program would be better off in the long run if we do have a bad season the rest of the way and find a good replacement other than Brady.

He doesn't get along with his own players, I don't know if this is most of the time or not, all I know is what I've seen in the past.
    With all the empty seats in the PMAC it sounds like there are a lot of Tigerfans just like me that think we should go in a different direction.

Its not all about Bradys record, lets be clear here, that is part of it.
    The antics during and after the game are part of that, you take the
    blow up on the bench between Brady and his players during the OU game last
    year for instance.
    Then there are all the players that have left for various reasons, then there are recruiting issues such as the kid from Utah JC last year instead of going
    instate, Shawnee Johnson, never should've been recruited, head case.
    Then there is Lloreda, sorry but I think we could've found someone instate
    that had better character, wouldn't abandon the team down the stretch, etc.
    This is where I stand.

I Never said anything about Bradys postgame comments since his blow up
    last year.
    I will say this, people question his coaching ability and whether he can coach
    on what comes out of his own mouth.

When you say stuff like you thought you had it together until this player left
    early for the NBA and this other player got hurt.
    Hey people leave early for the NBA all the time, other sports also.

Sounds like an excuse but even fans know these facts and for Brady to say stuff like this makes people wonder if he knows what he is doing!

BTW, Your scenario reminds me of the Democrats and the war in Iraq.
    Some of them must secretly be rooting for Al Quada?

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i think last year was the first completely off of sanctions

depending on the sanctions, it may be unreasonable to expect a 7-9 sec record--hard to get the best recruits, little bench

the 00 team was better, but i wonder, if you remove the best player off each team which team is better. we all know that team was all stro.

i dont think that team had a bench. lets see, starters- roland, bright, beshara, swift, smith. bench-williams, dupree (didnt play), temple (didnt play), thompson (no way). am i forgetting anyone? i think we only played 6.

isnt temple being redshirted?

tougher to make the tourney now because mid-majors have more clout. not sure why. maybe more tv made it easier for them to get good recruits. maybe great player leaving for nba made senior-laden mid-major teams more competitive (my favorite theory).

10. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Re: John Brady costing himself the stretch run, and he can't explain it on live radio

How can you not blame an atrocious SEC record on probation? Sure we had one good season during that stretch but how many teams has anyone ever seen that competes every year during a 5 year probation? Anyone care to bring up stats on that? I guess you see my opinion here.

Brady may have an abrasive personality but it seems to me it is due to his desire to have a good team. Maybe he has run off players and maybe not. If he was really that bad I don't think you would have player one out on the court. I've made this analogy before, and in no way am I comparing coaching abilties, but it seems there was a long time coach at Indiana that seemed to be a lot more "abrasive" than Brady can ever be. Yet he had players beating down the door to play for him. And yes he lost players too. Point is Brady's personality is run-of-the-mill coaching. He just lets it fly more publically than most.

Give credit where credit is due. Brady is still able to recruit top-notch players. He may not be getting enough of these players and that is a fault. I look for things to pick up IF he can pull out a decent showing during the final stretch. Success breeds desire and if he can be successful, the more blue chippers we can get. I will admit that time is growing short for him to achieve this but I'm not ready to rent a U-haul for him just yet. I'll wait for this season to play out and go from there.