John Brady stumbling at recruiting!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BasileTiger, Feb 5, 2004.

1. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

TigerEducated, you are right...he has been here for a while. But it isn't like he inherited a gold mine here. The program was on the decline and even worse, under sactions for something he didn't do. I'll admit, he fell into Stro(who supposedly wanted to sign with Michigan but Grades and homesickness prevented it), but lets be honest. With the pick up of Big Baby Glen Davis this year and three consensus top 25-top 50 players last year...he isn't "stumbling" along like whoever started this post said.

One could DEFINITELY say that Baylor's program is stumbling along right now. But we are 14-4 right now and will most likely get a tournament bid...I just don't understand what people want from Brady? No he isn't Roy Williams. But hasn't exactly had the same things that some of the great coaches have had...In three or four years I could see this as a possible final four team, espcially if that ultra talented high school underclassmen signs with LSU...

2. BB

BB Founding Member

Everyone please stop giving Brady credit for Big Baby. The guy practically lives on campus and has been working out at the LSU facilities since he was 14 (maybe earlier). Big Baby is like the Olson Twins, we just had to wait until he was old enough. All Brady had to do, was not screw it up.

3. DallasLSU

Let's say LSU is a 7-21 type ballclub. Rarely makes it to the NCAA and never makes noice in the SEC....Still think we get Big Baby? Try again....He probably wasn't hard to get, but Big Baby would have been at Indiana had LSU not had a good basketball program...Don't shortchange Brady either...

4. DallasLSU

Also, don't forget Kendrick Brown( I think that was his name), the number 1 JUCO recruit two years ago that opted for the NBA instead of LSU, where he commited..

5. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

James Naismith INVENTED BASKETBALL. He taught Phog Allen, and then gave the Kansas team over to him. Phog Allen coached and taught Dean Smith, and Dean Smith taught Roy Williams...

John Brady ain't no Roy Williams...

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Maybe not but Brady has won just as many National Championships as Williams has.

I never had anything against Roy Williams until he took in Lester Earl who had ratted out on LSU. If all the crap that Earl told the NCAA about LSU was true then why was he still allowed to be eligible to play BB? If somebody gave him money he was guilty of taking it. We'll never know what the past few years under Brady would have been like if there had been an ordinary non probationary transition from Dale Brown to John Brady.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Big Baby could have chosen Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Connecticut, Kansas or any other big time program he wanted. If he didn't see a future at LSU under Brady he wouldn't be coming here.

8. BasileTiger

BasileTiger Founding Member

you guys have veered off my post

I posted as to why we didn't recruit Shan Foster of Bonnabel and Martin Zeno of Sulphur.

This post isn't about why Kedrick Brown never showed up,,,why Shawnson Johnson was a head case, or why this or that.

This whole post was about Brady slipping on these two recruits. Shan Foster and Martin Zeno.

Yea, Spencer Ford and Gransberry are both pretty good players, but Ford is coming from JUCO, which means we will only have him for two years. Don't know much about Gransberry, except that he played at Woodlawn.

But Shan Foster and Martin Zeno are two of the best in the state. Top 10 players in Louisiana.

Where does Garrett Temple rank???

Nothing against the kid,,,,i'm sure he's a great kid, but I just don't see him as a Division I player.

9. roygu

roygu Founding Member

I have never seen John Brady cry after a loss as Roy does. Brady had to clean up the mess which Brown let fester and Roy W stirred up. You know so much TE, how did Lester Earl get to Kansas and visit while still on the LSU team. Did the LSU booster give him the money for that trip also? ;)

10. DallasLSU

TE...Read back at what I said, I said he "wasn't Roy Williams." I really wasn't meaning to compare him directly to Roy, but just good coaches in general. I don' t think ANY coach would have done differently given the circumstances at LSU. Given everything that Dale Brown left for Brady, I'd say he has done a pretty damn good job...

BasileTiger, you posted that "Brady is stumbling at recruiting. I wouldn't make that comment unless he is absolutely striking out with everyone he is going after. Bengal B is right, Big Baby could have gone almost anywhere and so could Brandon Bass. Regis could have gone almost anywhere and so could have Tack Minor. Lloreda was top JUCO recruit as was Kendrick Brown. Do you actually blame Brady for Brown opting for the NBA??? Nope... Maybe we could have done slightly better with another coach, I don't know...All I do know is that I don't think Brady gets enough credit as it is for recruiting some really great talent. If our freshmen and Big Baby come through and we don't do shit, then you have point...But cut the man some slack..