John Brady's tenure at LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TD TIGER, Dec 20, 2004.

1. TD TIGER

TD TIGER Founding Member

marred by:

1. Overwhelming attrition
    2. A Sweet Sixteen appearance with Final Four talent
    3. Awful scheduling/competition
    4. One of the worst offenses year in and year out
    5. Poor evaluation of talent/recruits (if they aren't a well-known, top-5, can't miss prospect that everyone has at the top of their list, Brady cannot determine if they will be a good player)
    6. An even worse attitude
    7. Minimal player improvement
    8. MEDIOCRITY

Does that just about cover it?

2. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Hopefully, one day very soon, the sentence "John Brady's tenure at LSU" will end with "has come to an end."

Amen. :thumb:

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I don't think Brady is a bad evaluator of talent, I think he is a bad evaluator of character. Or maybe he just doesn't care about the kind of character he recruits, I don't know. He certainly had his share of head cases during his tenure, that's for sure.

Unlike football, you simply can't afford to lose a scholarship player every single year. Not mention the turmoil it must cause a team when players leave during the season.

Sadly, I see this boat sinking really fast...

4. ChineseBandit

ChineseBandit Founding Member

That's about it. I haven't been excited about LSU basketball in quite some time. Then again, I think I've grown to simply hate the sport.

5. staysaban.com

staysaban.com Founding Member

Brady got to go

John Brady walked into a bad situation at LSU. It was ghosts town USA when Brown left. Brady has done some good things for LSU but his only real good year was when Swift and Smith that one year. After that its been disapointment after disapointment. I think the straw that broke the camels back was this past weekend when LSU lost to Southern Miss. That is absoulutely insane. Brady has the talent at LSU but he cannot coach them. Brady should follow Saban right out the door when Saban leaves in a few days.

6. TD TIGER

TD TIGER Founding Member

Contrary to the names and some players he has brought in, I think he is an awful evaluator of both talent and character. What I mean by that is that everybody knows to go after guys like Stromile Swift, Brandon Bass, and Tasmine Mitchel, but it's the other players that I'm talking about. He doesn't recruit the kids that aren't at the top of the recruiting publication lists and then guys like Knight come in hear and take them without a battle. Just off the top of my head, the only player I can remember that turned out to be an impact player without the big-name acclaim was Brian Beshara. There might have been one other, but I'm not going to waste my time looking it up. And that's why I think he is horrible at evaluating talent.

7. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Collis Temple III wasn't highly recruited. He even redshirted because he wasn't ready to play his first year. He turned out to be OK.

I've been a strong Brady supporter but now I wouldn't be upset if he got fired. Losing to West Virginia and USM is unacceptable. I still will root for the team and hope they go really far into the tourney, but I don't think that will happen.

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

^^^ That pretty much sums up my thoughts too. :bball:

9. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Some posters have tried to make this a for the team or against the team argument or a for Brady/against Brady one. It is neither in my opinion, but instead for or against the direction this team and program are heading in. I'm sure Brady has done the best job that he could and that his players have tried their best, but the program has hit near rock bottom in the SEC and doesn't look able to turn things around under Brady's leadership. The really sad thing is that just the opposite of the football program Skip may end up begging a coach to take the job. I wish Brady and the team the best but think it is time to go in another direction.

10. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I would go as far to say that the program is rock bottom in the SEC. We were 2nd in the west last year at 8-8 and one injury away from potentially making a big impact in the tourney. Last year but me squarely on the fence about Brady and the start this year has me teetering.

I don't think Skip would have to beg people to come here. We wouldn't get Coach K but also wouldn't have to get a total loser. We have good talent. The PMAC is getting renovated and the Academic Center is a huge plus in recruiting. Parents of recruits love that place. We could hire an established coach, especially if Skip would open up the checkbook.

This year is not finished though and we could turn things around. Bass is always a threat and Davis just had his best game of the year. If we can figure out how to get them the ball, we could win lots of games.