John Breaux has retired

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Jetstorm, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I am an independent minded Republican, but I always liked and respected Senator Breaux. He seemed to me to be a good guy who voted on issues based on what was right, not on what the party wanted. He was a good, bipartisan compromiser, who worked with other moderate to conservative Democrats to get bills through a GOP controlled Congress. His work on supporting the Medicare reform bill, the military actions in Afghanistan and Iraq, and certain judicial nominees showed him to be a great political compromiser and showed that he had a true understanding of the issues that is sorely lacking right now on the further left side of his party. He made Louisiana proud and he will be missed.

Now, who will get his seat? Should we just hand it to Chris John right now, or will there be a competitive election for it? What chance has the GOP of taking this seat?

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I think most people felt Breaux would support Chris John as his successor but, interestingly, Breaux said he is not going to "anoint" his successor. I don't know if there is a viable (in La. voters' minds) republican candidate, but, you can bet that running for the seat is on on Jindal's "to do" list

3. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Founding Member

The GOP will almost certainly find a way to bungle this opportunity. I just hope Ieyoub isn't the beneficiary.

4. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I went on a trip in high school where we met the senators from Louisiana, Breaux actually took time out of his day to meet us adn talk for a few minutes. Mary Landrieu sent a spokeperson to thank us for coming by and Mary was in the office, it wasn't like she was gone out of town or anything.

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I had the same experience with the LA delgation. Breaux met with our group. Landrieu did not.

I also think if Tauzin wants to run he would have a lot of support, but I hear he is going to retire as well.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Those kids on your high school trip will be voters pretty soon and Mary Landrieu will regret treating them like dirt.

7. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Well they are all voters now. The trip was almost 5 years ago. Even though I have political differences with Landrieu if I were to ever even have an inkling of interest to vote her the chances are now slim to none for that to happen.

8. JD

JD Founding Member

David Vitter has said that La should elect someone with conservative values.
    I suggest that the media interview Vitter's wife and ask her what she thinks of right wing family values.

9. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Mary's not worried about votes. If a race is tight, all she's got to
    do is call Bill Clinton who will in turn call Cleo Fields and light a fire
    under his ass to get those buses rolling and those free hamburgers and 40's passed out. And if that still doesn't work, Mary will call up some of her contacts down here in N.O., and get them to open up that voting precinct over at St. Louis Cemetary #2.

10. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I heard that Tauzin is in line to go to Hollywood and replace Jack
    Valenti as head of the MPAA. Don't know how true that is.