John David Booty

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeafValleyBatnR, Jan 20, 2004.

1. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

I heard in a Chat room that John David will redshirt next year. Has anyone heard this?

That means he comes out of High School after his Jr year plays 20 plays then redshirts his Soph year (should be his Freshman year and Plays his Jr year or Redshirt Soph year. He will be out of High School 2 years but will not play till his 3rd year at USC. Sorry but not playing this long can not be good.

2. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

It didn't hurt Josh, did it?

3. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

Actually I think it did.

4. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Agreed.

And I think Abram being who he was hurt Abram.

5. Houma Tiger

Houma Tiger Founding Member

he should stayed in high school, then he could redshirt this year and still have 4 years left to play

6. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I don't think it will hurt him. Nor did it hurt him coming a year early. That was a year more he got to understand the system....

7. conradj

conradj Founding Member

Do you think he flops like most/all Evangel QBs

Berlin
    Rawls
    Deis (Dies) (however you spell it)
    Josh Booty - some may defend Josh. He was okay, but I dont think he fufilled his hype. Plus I think we can all agree #6 should have been the one on the field.
    Thats all the ECA QBs I can think of

I think JDB, has one thing in his favor that is a huge plus. Norm Chow. That dude can flat out develop QBs, see Carson Palmer and Leinhart. Watching JDB you can tell he is good, but Berlin was just as impressive in HS. I guess time will tell.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

JDB just might develope into a great QB under Norm Chow except for the fact that Chow, like Jimbo Fisher is a very hot prospect for a prime time head coaching job. LSU was lucky to be able to keep Jimbo for next year but I think it will be his last as an assistant. Same for Chow.

9. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

conradj,

Brock Berlin- Miami did go 10-2 last year. Did Berlin set the world on fire? No. Did he win? Yes. Plus, this was his first year to get significant playing time. I think he comes back next year much better and much more disciplined. But we shall see.

Brent Rawls- Kinda got in some trouble at Oklahoma. We'll see if he can resurrect his career at La. Tech, but not likely to win much with the current coaching staff there.

Phillip Deas- Redshirted one year at North Carolina then suffered a career ending spinal injury in practice the next fall. We'll never know how good he might have been.

Josh Booty- Say what you want about Josh Booty, but he did make all SEC one year and basically saved our season in 2000 when he won us four straight games when Rohan went down. You can say "Davey is better" all day long, but twice, Rohan had the oppurtunity to win the job outright (1999 and 2000 vs. Auburn) and twice blew it (Rohan imploded against Auburn in 1999 and, according to Saban, was "tentative" against AU in 2000) Booty got on the field because Rohan was never good enough to shut the door completely and own the starting job until Tennessee in 2000, and then he got hurt. Booty's worst mistake was choosing pro baseball over LSU back in 1994. Had he come on then, he would have had a full career here, been unchallenged for the starting job (no knock on Herb Tyler, but he was just not the passer that Booty was) won us a lot of ballgames, and be much more fondly remembered by more Tiger fans. He just came in at a bad time, as Rohan Davey came into LSU very hyped and, once Booty failed to live up to his absolutely unreal hype, he was basically seen as just being in the way of "the Chosen One" Rohan. I don't mean that as a knock on Rohan. He was awesome and I am grateful for the pride he brought to Tiger fans. I just feel the same way about Booty, have never understood the "Cult of Rohan" that developed with some of our fans, and have never understood why many Tiger fans feel they must build up Rohan by tearing down Josh. Gosh folks, let it be, and appreciate both players and what they did for LSU.

But that is the way it is for Evangel QB's as a whole. They come out of high school very, very highly touted, and when they don't measure up to that, they are deemed as "failures," when some actually haven't done that bad. They just haven't measured up to the larger than life hype they got coming out of high school.

Kinda like what might happen to LeBron James. The kid is having a great first year, but if he doesn't win Rookie of the Year, make the All-Star Game, AND take the Cavaliers to the playoffs (one out of three is certain, two out of three possible, all three unlikely) he will be deemed a disappointment for "not living up to expectations." Well, all-world talent or no, the expectations were, IMHO, a tad bit unrealistic. Same for the Evangel quarterbacks.

10. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I am saying that any of them sucked. But the hype on most of them was so great that it would have been hard for Johnny Unitas to live up to it.

Berlin- he got pulled this year because of poor play and judgement. Most canes fans feel Kyle Wright will step up this year as a RSFR. So I guess we will see. Berlin had a whole year to RS and learn the offense.

Deas- I had no idea about that injury, thanks for clarifying that. I was under the impression he flopped at NC, and then couldnt beat Rattay (i think) out at Tech.

Josh Booty- when he was supposed to come to LSU the first time, i was probavly in 7th or 8th grade and didnt follow recruiting at all. I still remember hearing how great he was. They had some ESPN special on him. He was rated higher than Peyton Manning. anything short of making All-American and winning a Heisman probably wouldnt have been fufilling the hype (Ron Pawlas).

Rawls- not nearly as much hype as the others

JDB- I guess we will wait and see. He will be a SOph (unless he RS) behind a Jr. This is not good situation to be in. I'd keep typing but I gotta go. Again though, I wasnt saying they sucked, some were just average college QBs who had to compete for their job. NOne of tem lived up to their billing. JDB, TBD.