John David Booty

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BB, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

Beanbag!

HA HA HA HA HA

2. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

I'm sorry... another Booty at quarterback for LSU? No thanks!

Abrahm (spel ?) Booty was the real deal. He made plays for LSU. He helped LSU win more games than he helped them lose.

Josh Booty was a bad decision. Had he come to LSU right out of high school things might have been different. Things might have been so much different that we wouldn't have Saban now, you never know... Point is this, Josh Booty lost more games for LSU than he helped win through bad decisions on the football field. Throwing more interceptions than touchdowns is never a good thing.

I, personally, would be nervous about another Booty being the quarterback for LSU. Until JDB plays... for real... in college, all I see is another Josh Booty.

He can stay at USC and wipe Leinarts butt.

3. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

Scroll down on that Fox sports link and get you some of that Paris Hilton video it has Baton Rouge native Master P on there talking about his NBA chances. Its quite funny.

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Dude, you are so full of **** it's not even funny. That "afraid of competition" crap is what people who have detached from reality tell themselves in an attempt to convince people that all persons affiliated with LSU are infalliable.

Lane's heart is the single-most reason that Neville even had a shot at the playoffs. He took a team devoid of talent to the 4A Semi's. Without him, Neville would have finished in the basement of their class. The year before is a much better judge if his passing skills as he threw to two guys that are playing college ball now. If Lane had anything, it was heart as would most any H.S. QB that's thrown into the fire halfway through his freshman season.

Besides, H.S. skills aren't always what is used to judge college skills. That's why Early Doucet (a H.S. QB) is regarded as one of he best recieving talents in the nation. That's why Kevin Faulk (a H.S. QB) was one of the best runningback talents in the nation.

As for the questions regarding Lane and Saban: Saban also said that he wouldn't recruit any more QB's and he had no problems with Robert playing baseball. He later all but demanded that Lane make a choice. Sorry, but both are equally at fault for that one. If Saban was going to recruit another QB, he should have said so.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but there's no need trying to pass your uneducated feelings as fact. If you really want to know both sides and not simply be content to rant so one-sidedly, you should ask. No one will think less of you.

(Is "one-sidedly" a word?) :D

5. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

FYI-Nobody really gives a crap about Lane.

6. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

O.K. I wont even comment on your personal attacks, I will take your word for it that I am Detached from Reality, and uneducated.. Damn LSU education. I will distance from the personal attacks and leave that in your little world.

If Lane was so ignorant that he ignored the fact that for over 6 Months LSU was recruiting Russell and Flynn, and waited until Signing day to see if Russell was going to sign, then turn tail and leave LSU in the lurch. He must be as ignorant and uneducated as me.
    I never knew it was such a big secret LSU was recruiting Russell. Hell he announced on National TV....
    I dont know if you know but you only have so many scholarships to give in a certain recruiting year. Lane committed VERY early to LSU. Long before the other QB's he was so upset they signed. I will send you some articles on it if you wish. Anyway when a player verbally commits Coaches usually the take the word of the recruit and put that scholarship aside in fear of sigining to many. Its called a commitment or some people refer to it as integrity.

I am very proud of him for showing heart as a high school freshman. Yeh for him. I guess my question is you said Saban said he was not recruiting another QB, however it was National News for about oh 6-7 months that LSU had already offered Russell and were waiting for him to commit, let alone he had LSU listed #1 his entire recruiting process, why did he wait until Signing day to not just decommit, not say anything and sign with Ole Miss ???

since you insist I ask for you advice and guidance anytime I post something about Lane, do share so I can "educate" myself, so I wont be so "Full of Sh@#" you so eloquently put.

And lastly why would Lane request such a demand of Saban. I never recall Saban making ANY statement saying he would "not recruit anymore QB's" and if he did, why would a coach make such a silly statement. What coach in his right mind would turn down a great player just to please a high school kid. Not only is that foolish, I find that hard to believe. I am not as dumb as you think when it comes to LSU recruiting. NO coach would turn away a star player if he has a chance to put one on the field. But lets just say your story is accurate since you are the educated one. Why would a player put a coach under such a demand ? Why would a player tell a coach. I commit to LSU please put my scholarship aside BUT if you sign another QB I am out, BUT I wont give you an opportunity to recruit another player.

Lane himself said he left LSU because he did not want to be a part of a 3 QB class. That my friend is fact.
    Why would he say such a thing ?

However some other posters are correct, who really cares about Lane. I am sure he is a great football player, that was never in question for me. Nor should have I even responded to your post.

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Lane's father Bob walked away from LSU in a huff 25 years ago because he couldn't hack the QB competition here. Choose any cliche' you wish...like father, like son, apple doesn't fall far from the tree, et.al.,...they all apply here.

8. conradj

conradj Founding Member

agreed

9. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Nobody cares about Robert Lane? Then why are we already on Page two discussing him.

(sigh) Some people just can't let the past go and stop themselves short of burning bridges, especially on stuff where they either have no clue what happened, have only a few details and think they know what happened, or heard only one side of the story and think they know what happened.

And some people on this board are all too eager to crucify a 17/18/19 year old KID, his coach, his school, and his family when that kid and family, for whatever reason, decides that maybe LSU is not the best place for him or her to play their chosen sport in college.

Folks, get a grip. Lane decided LSU might not be the best place for him and looked elsewhere. And on Signing Day last year, he was all class, never once saying a bitter word about LSU or Coach Saban. Same for Coach Saban. For the pro-Lane (or usually, anti-LSU) folks who ranted and raved about how Coach Saban lied to Lane about recruiting only two quarterbacks, you are wrong! Saban told Lane he would do whatever was necessary to have two quarterbacks in the signing class. J. Russell became available in January of that year, and prior to that, LSU honestly thought they had no shot at the kid. When Saban found out we did, he still wouldn't have recruited him. All he wanted from Robert Lane to stop recruiting Russell was to hear this one phrase: "Coach Saban, no matter what happens in the MLB Draft, I am definitely in camp next fall." We would have never recruited Russell had we heard those 17 little words.

But Lane didn't. And unlike some on this board, I do not blame Robert Lane for wanting to explore all the options on the table. A young kid has the right to look carefully at what's in front of him when making a life-changing decision. But LSU was short on quarterbacks, and Coach Saban needed to know that it was set in stone that two freshman quarterbacks would be in camp next fall. So we recruited and signed Russell.

It was still very possible Lane could have been the one who signed with us and Russell could have gone elsewhere. It was a question of who was gonna blink first on signing day. Lane blinked first. I don't blame him for not wanting to be a part of a three-headed quarterback controversy; those historically don't go well. We've had our own in the past and what happened? Somebody transfers. Like Craig Nall transferred to Northwestern State. Like some people on this board have called for Marcus Randall to transfer in the past. Why would he want to risk that? People on this board can throw around bold generalizations like "He's afraid of competition" all they want. But two points on that; first, Lane wasn't afraid to compete with Matt Flynn; he knew at least one other was coming the whole time. Second, your a blue-chip, Top Five quarterback, with literally 50 schools banging down your door to get you there. What would you do? For you parents out there, if it were YOUR son, what would you advise him to do? Players want to go somewhere where they can play, and I won't fault anyone for that. The only beef I have with Lane; he reneged on a verbal commitment. I'm not cool with backing out of a commitment. If he was still undecided about baseball, perhaps he should have never made that commitment in the first place. Then again, we did start recruiting a third quarterback.

Bottom line, at the end of the day, Coach Saban and LSU did what was best for LSU, and Robert Lane and the Lane family did what was best for Robert Lane. I'm just sorry the best interests of both parties did not converge like I believed they would. Regardless, I wish him the best of luck in his career at Ole Miss. I hope he has great success, except against the Tigers.

Now folks, let's let this go once and for all. I think this thread reveals just the tip of the iceberg on why Louisiana quarterbacks don't go to LSU. Massive rippage of the Lane family, sprinkled with just a smidgen of vicious Booty-bashing, tells me two things; homegrown quarterbacks in this state are considered traitors and bums if the thought of attending another school even crosses their mind, and if and when they do get to Baton Rouge, are immediately under tremendous pressure to produce amazing results, and when they don't, are condemned as losers forever. Jamie Howard, Josh Booty anyone? And I hope Marcus Randall does not meet the same fate, although after the Randall bashing sessions we've had on this board, I'm not holding my breath. Now, I'm not singling out LSU. Scott Frost was pelted unmercifully by his own fans his whole career because, first off, some Nebraska fans never forgave him for starting off at Stanford and "betraying" the state, and secondly, he was just never "good enough" for them (of course, we all know how unrealistic Nebraska fans can be).

I, however, hold my alma mater to a higher standard, and I will never begrudge any young man who makes the best choice for him. LSU is a wonderful, wonderful place to play football and go to school. But is not for everybody. Some people, for whatever reason, just don't "fit" here. We need to learn to accept that and not burn bridges or scream and holler when we don't get our way. I think it does nobody any good and in fact, might hurt recruiting in the future (however improbable that message board rantings can impact the decisions of recruits) But, bottom line, it's just not helpful to LSU.

10. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Great post Jetstorm!