John David Booty

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BB, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Agreed...Jetstorm

2. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

there were no good QBs that year. Rex Grossman and Casey Clausen were in reality the best two QBs that season. both were freshmen and took over mid season....

Florida's back up QB (who started earlier in the year...what was his name? think he was from canada..plays for the giants now) was IMO better than Booty too...but Spurrier pulled both QB's names from contention.

i believe Quincy Carter was hurt that year

south carolina didnt have anybody

vandy....you know

kentucky had the big boy....he had waaayyyy to many interceptions

bama had zow and watts....

ole miss had romero miller

msu had wayne madkin

auburn had ben leard i think

was Stoerner(sp?) at Ark then? he wasnt that bad.

point is...there was NOBODY in leauge that year.

but if people really think Booty is better than Rex Grossman, Casey Clausen (not great, but better than booty), and Quincy Carter...then...i guess thats ok.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i liked stoerner out of all of em. have you noticed all 4 dallas QBs on their roster have played minor league ball? odd.

stoerner and wright were on their roster at the same time a couple yrs back i think.

4. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

Jetstorm is right! Saban told Lane that he would not recruit 3 QBs if Lane agreed not to go in the MLB draft. Lane wouldn't agree so Saban got us Flynn and Russell. Lane had a crappy senior year in baseball and didn't get drafted (at least not high enough to get a huge signing bonus). So now he's at Ole Piss (I think) and we've got Flynn and J. Russell. Personally, I think we made out pretty good. :geaux:

5. Uncle Gus

Uncle Gus Founding Member

I think:

1 No one named Booty should ever be allowed to play for LSU in any sport ever again.

2 People who are currently named Booty (or Berlin) should be given the option to change his or her last name.

3 Anyone chosing to keep the name Booty should be forbidden by law from associating themselves with the State of Louisiana, and LSU in interviews, public statements, police reports, etc...

4 Reporters should be required by law to not, in any way, incourage anyone named Booty to feel that ANYBODY, ANYWHERE gives a cr@p about how they feel about ANYTHING!

Get it?

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

First, let me say that both sides did what was best for them and neither should be faulted. I'm all for LSU, Purple & Gold, etc. but the develoment of a child is far more important than any game, team or championship. I apologize if my previous comments do not reflect that. My comments were prompted by the muckraking of a student athlete. The same type of idiocy that prompts people to say on the radio that Ross Neltner sicks and has no business playing basketball.

Wait until the start playing for money folks.

There is so much that is one-sided and has been twisted in your reply that I really don't even know why I am replying or how you even got to 1,600 posts. Education isn't where you go. It's what you put into it. I'm not even questioning your sheepskin so I really don't know why you mention it except to divert attention from your obvious lack of earning it. <---- That's a personal attack.

No one ever stated that Saban said he would only recruit one QB. It was stated by Saban that be wanted two QB's at a time when both Lane and Flynn had committed.

(I'll pause here to give to a chance to do the math.)

Russell had yet to make his decision until the last week of the recruiting season and it was not known for sure until the day before where he would sign. Lane didn't ignore the fact. Lane stuck with the commitment he made until he felt that he would be better off somewhere else. Why would someone "scared of competition" stick around for so long if he felt that another QB was going to be signed? He wouldn't for two reasons: 1) He's not scared of competition and 2) It wasn't as obvious as you make it out to be. Maybe you called it that far in advance, but that was nothing more than a Phil Mickelson-style 1 in 1,000 pick. Just because Saban offers doesn't mean that a recruit accepts. If that were the reason that Lane left (because he thought Saban lied to him) then Lane would have left when the offer was made. That's simple deductive reasoning as Russell did not have LSU as #1, but FSU and LSU as his final two.

Don't bother sending article because I probably read them before you did as I usually am the guy that emails them top friend seconds after they are posted during recruiting season.

As for Lane not wanting to be part of a 3 QB class: Why would any QB? Who in the hell wants to be left to chance in getting mired behind two other guys? It's very possible that the 2nd (or even the 3rd string QB) be as good as the 1st or good enough to start elsewhere? Who in the hell wants to backup at LSU when you can start at Ole Miss?

Would you take job #1 where two other people have comparable talents and abilities as yours or job #2 where there is another just as good up the road without the quagmire? If you take the first choice, then not only are you full of ****, but you're dumb as ****, too.
    BTW, I would say that phrase is succinct, not eloquent...

7. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

A few points --

First, ANYONE who followed recruiting AT ALL knew that LSU and Saban were recruiting JaMarcus to the VERY END. JaMarcus ALWAYS had LSU listed in his Top 3 and there was PLENTY of talk about JaMarcus. Further, Flynn committed long before signing day.

Therefore, to suggest that Saban "promised" Lane that he would stop recruiting a third Quarterback is a FLAT OUT LIE propagated by Lane and his daddy.

There were "rumors" that Saban did say he would stop recruiting a third quarterback if Lane agreed to not enter his name in the MLB. This is something that Lane CLEARLY was not ready to do.

Second, Lane changed his verbal ON SIGNING DAY when it was apparent that JaMarcus was coming to LSU. So, if Lane and daddy were telling the truth (i.e., Saban "promised" some time before to stop recruiting a third QB), then Lane would have decommitted A LONG time before signing day. A friend of mine called on two days before signing day after he had just left the N.O. TAF recruiting bash. He said that Saban (WITHOUT NAMING NAMES) had all but assured the crowd that JaMarcus was coming to LSU. Saban made the same comments around the state. It was NO SECRET that LSU was OPENLY recruiting JaMarcus. He was the LAST big fish on the board.

Third, I have no problem with Lane switching his committment. I fully understand his wanting more of a "sure thing" - which he'll have at Old Piss next year (2005). What REALLY pisses me off about Lane and daddy Lane is that they came out and OBVIOUSLY LIED about what Saban "promised" them and attempted to defame Saban's name. The CLEAR and PUBLIC facts show that they were CLEARLY LYING. THey were just pi$$ed because they didn't get their way. Lane and daddy wanted to call the shots (i.e., LSU had to stop recruiting a 3rd QB and Lane didn't have to commit to taking his name out of the MLB draft), and Saban said - "NO F*&(KING WAY".

There's NO DOUBT in my mind that Lane had NO INTENTION of going to Oxfart. Lane fully expected to be drafted in baseball and go that route so that he'd never have to step foot on that complete piece of CRAP of a campus (there were many reports that Lane would be a Top 15 baseball selection). But, Lane had a HORRIBLE senior baseball season and didn't even get drafted.

NOW, him and daddy are bitter because he's now stuck at the trailer park that is Oxfart, Mississippi.

To him AND HIS DADDY, I say - YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW!!!

8. conradj

conradj Founding Member

All I know is that I am happy we got 2 Outstanding QB prospects who WANT to be here and want to compete for National Titles. I wouldn't want it any other way.

9. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

guys....spring training starts i believe saturday....there is a b-ball game on now.....i know it's the nit....but try to get into it.....c'mon!

10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

>>There's NO DOUBT in my mind that Lane had NO INTENTION of going to Oxfart. Lane fully expected to be drafted in baseball and go that route so that he'd never have to step foot on that complete piece of CRAP of a campus (there were many reports that Lane would be a Top 15 baseball selection). But, Lane had a HORRIBLE senior baseball season and didn't even get drafted.

NOW, him and daddy are bitter because he's now stuck at the trailer park that is Oxfart, Mississippi.

Dude, where in the hell do you get your information from? Been visited by any black helicopters lately? Better tighten your tinfoil hat. Since when does Bob Lane run the newspapers? I'm still waiting to see where the Lanes asked Saban to stop recruiting another QB. The only times I've ever seen that is on LSU Message Board by posters with penis envy. Get a grip. That's where this "lie" was started and remains. Outside of message boards, I have never heard anyon emention this crap. Maybe because it's easier to sell a lie when you don't look anyone in the eye. It's the same concept behind those "via-gra" emails you see in your inbox.

Robert got advice from people that had been in similar situations. You're a good QB and MLB scouts are saying you could be getting a check next year. If you don't think that MLB will pan out, you'll get a scholarship somewhere.

On top of that people now think he's bitter?!?!?!

You know, it is possible for someone to actually enjoy the Ole Miss experience over LSU. I know that's pretty impossible for most of us to believe, but so is homosexuality.

Some of you are worse than those 30 year Saints fans...