Jon Gruden

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tigers Paw, Jan 16, 2010.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

say what? we wont get a good qb because a qb that won us a nc decided to rest on his ass after he turned pro and turned bust? like that has anything at all to do with lsu. or rp, gee, how awful that parents will see the kid was given chances and the coach tried to do the right thing, but he couldnt keep his nose clean so was booted. which was the right thing to do and shows a coach that is willing to discipline his team. or the booing of lee, well, blame that on negatigers.

so. how does being in that little town given one special insight? must be related to cliff with that kind of thinking....

and lots of people who have watched the program for 30 years arent negatigers.

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

??? When did JR win a Championship?

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

my bad, he didnt. he was a freshman on the 03 team but he didnt win it for us. very bad phrasing to say the least. that or major blonde moment, take your pick.

but he did have some good seasons at lsu. and i dont take that from him. and i do not see in the least how that will discourage other qb's from coming to lsu.

4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

If you feel like going back to the student section I could always upgrade some tickets for you.

Bad phrasing on my part, but I'm looking at year-to-year expectations, not specifically what will happen this particular year (2010). 8-4 and 9-3 are entirely within the realm of possibility for 2010. If we're still stagnant at this level for the next 4-5 years, then what?

What is so hard about understanding this point? I'll even say it nice and slow:
    I....do...NOT....think....Les....Miles.....should....be....fired.

My comment about Saban "raising the bar" is that of fan expectations. Saban got LSU fans thinking championships on a regular basis, and to this point Les has kept those expectations high. That's all. The whole "Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party, er, I mean, an LSU traitor/Saban loyalist" line of rhetoric is getting really long in the tooth, amigo. I don't question your fan loyalty, so I'd appreciate it if you extended the same courtesy and dropped the innuendo.

Can't argue or complain about the wonderful ride we've had in that time. If I'm so wrong about the near-to-intermediate term future of LSU under Miles then you've got nothing to worry about. And this may come as a surprise to you since I'm such a closet Saban fan and all, but I WANT Les Miles to prove me wrong. Because the continued success of this team means worlds more to me than whether I eventually win some stupid forum argument. And feel free to call me out on this if Les gets us to 10 wins, another SECCG or even MNC. I'll gladly take my helping of crow and 20 lashes.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, looking at it from a year to year perspective, Les is averaging 10 wins a season in his five years here. In the SEC. WIth Championships. That's pretty good, man. On the average, LSU is doing fine. Did you think LSU was going to win 11 or 12 every year? Of course not, no team does that. We've had a couple of rough season but still haven't dropped off the map. We're recruiting strong and we're a star quarterback away from a championship run. Lots of teams are in the same position. I just see no evidence for LSU doing any worse in the next five years that we have in the last five years. Even the best coaches don't stay 10-15 years at a school anymore.

Not Nick, not Carroll, not Meyer, not no one. We've already gotten better than average service from Les and I suspect he will continue to be competitive until he decides to move on. If Les stagnates at 8 wins and is treated like a loser by his own fans, then he'll find some greener pastures on his own terms, the guy can get a top job with his record. Then LSU will have the unlikely task of finding someone to equal the fabulous records of the last two coaches, the best in LSU history. It could happen, but I dread the day. Coaching changes kill recruiting for a year, sometimes two. It's not something that is done because fans are disappointed . . . and they certainly are not voting with their feet.

Just pulling your chain, a bit and also bad phrasing on my part. It should have been along the lines of "how is it any different at Bama or Florida?" Those of us who have spent some time on the Bama and Florida boards know that they have the same unrealistic expectations and fears that LSU fans do. Nobody gets to sit at the top of the pyramid very long in the SEC. A team has to take its 8-win seasons from time to time and Bama and Florida have both experienced them. LSU is just not in as bad a shape as some seem to think.

I just think it's way too soon to worry, mate, much less panic like some did late last season. I know you're tired of hearing it, but those who've been around for decades know for damn sure that we don't always get a better coach when we make a change. In fact, since Charlie Mac, it's been worse coaches 4 to 3. We hang on to a winner for as long as we can.

6. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I think the big hang up that some might have is that Saban has Bama playing it’s best ball, while at the same time Miles has us playing mediocre ball. That was is stuck in some heads is that they believe that Miles only won with Sabans players and all of their predictions are holding true. That many had said let’s see how Miles does once Sabans players are gone. Regardless of the fact that Miles did better with Sabans recruits than Saban did, regardless of the fact that Miles won a MNC with mostly his players and players that never played for Saban. Regardless of the fact that Miles has a better record than Saban did, many still believe that he did and would be doing better than Miles.

What many forget or don’t take into consideration is paths both have taken at where they are right now. Miles took over after Saban, and left with a bare inbound recruiting class, but lots of talent. Miles won out of the gates with 3 back to back 10+ win seasons, 3 bowl wins, including a BCS bowl and a MNC. Saban on the other hand was left with an open for success recruiting class and lots of talent, started off better than his predecessor, put together 2 undefeated regular seasons, lost a bowl, lost a BCS bowl, then won a MNC. Some of Sabans and Bama’s successes have come at the expense of LSU being down, his previous stop and team he brought back into the limelight, and some LSU fans just can’t stomach that. Even though both have had similar success, in a similar amount of time, at the school they coach for.

Saban hasn’t stayed anywhere long enough to see if his track record can hold for the long haul. Time will tell if he can maintain the level he is at right now or if he will suffer the same down cycles that many elite programs go thru. The biggest problem of successful/elite programs is they become a victim of their own success. No matter what anyone wants to believe or not a head coach is only as good as his assistants. Miles, like many other elite program coaches has had to suffer the loses of several of the assistants that made him successful, now having spent the last 2 years rebuilding those positions and hopefully finally putting the right pieces of the puzzle in place. Saban is just starting to see this happen to him at Bama and will continue to see his cupboards be robbed. Leaving him with the job of finding, not only replacements for these assistants but replacements that fit his system and are as good as the ones he has now. Time will tell if he can manage to stay on top of the world or suffer the downs like so many other top tier programs.

7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I hear you bro, I was scratching my head on that one too. :huh:. I thought you were being sarcastic, and I thought it was funny.:hihi:. I really thought your post was a set up for a later one where the shoe was going to drop on someone you flushed out like some quail.

8. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

I readily agree with a lot of your thoughts on the usual ups and downs of college coaching. Evaluating assistant coaches is a lot like measuring recruits. An eye for talent and development is everything. In three years we already have replaced our OC and DC, and excellent special teams coach.Both our OC and DC this year interviewed for other programs. LB coach Willis took an up grade at Texas Tech, so our coaching staff has been in a constant state of change throughout these 3 years. So far, so good.

There was an interesting article on the state of SEC coaches and how players shouldn't expect too much stability given the dramatic change in head coaches since 2005. It mentioned that CNS from Toledo to the NFL to Michigan St. to LSU to Miami to Bama made moves that he felt improved his coaching position over the years.

It makes sense that most stability will come when head coaches love being at the program they are at. Both Saban and Miles, seem to fit that profile. It's just as easy for me to make a case for the other 10 SEC coaches leaving or being fired than for that happening with either one of these guys

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Agreed. Finding the right assistants is as tough as finding the right recruits. They have to fit the Head Coaches systems, values, and fit in the conference. Just because someone is a rock star in the Big 12, Big 10, Pac 10, SEC, Big East, or ACC doesn’t mean they will work well moving to another conference. Offenses and defenses are different in many ways and coordinators from one conference may not be successful in another.
    And you are right, a stronger case could be made to fire over half of the other coaches in the SEC as opposed to Miles.