Jordan Jefferson

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by KTeamLSU, May 2, 2008.

1. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Well, our freshmen sensations have reported. It will be interesting to see if they redshirt JJ and let him go head to head with Shepard in '09. I don't think Shepard will redshirt for any reason.

2. LSUGraduate2002

LSUGraduate2002 LSU's Golden Years

What year did you graduate from St. Jude? I graduated from there in 1993.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

'97 and then to Catholic.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

That's really exciting that our freshman have arrived in Baton Rouge. When you put it like that, maybe JJ won't redshirt. Maybe he'll have more upside than Hatch? I hate to pound on Hatch, I just wonder about how capable he is 1) coming from that football monster, Harvard, and 2) that Coach Miles wouldn't let Hatch take even one snap against Alabama, or that he didn't play at all when RP's finger was about to fall off in the SECCG...

5. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

I was about to get on here and type the same spill everybody else was saying "JJ mostlikely won't start. JJ will redshirt. JJ will play sparingly."

But screw it. I think JJ will play (not start) throughout the season, but by years end, I think he'll have seperated himself talentwise and leadership wise, that he'll have won the starting spot for next season.

Hatch will get the early start sure, but he's going to be passed by Lee before long into the season. The real battle will be how quickly JJ picks up the offense. Lee at best I think is going to have a Colt McCoy type of Freshman season. The two remind me of each other. Lee bringing that masculine 180 pound frame on a football field. I truely hope our OL stays playing good, because he'll get crunched by defenses if they don't.

I know JJ has that sort of side-arm throw instead of coming straight over the top, I don't know how much that's going to play into him getting a start. He does have some height, but like always with those different style of throws, you have to worry about the DL getting their hands up and blocking.

CLM has already said that JJ is going to have a shot at the starting position. Granted he's playing catchup, which is why I think it will take till the end of the year for him to win the starting spot.

CLM isn't going to have a pile-up at QB by have JJ RSFR, Shepard FR, and Garret FR all at one time. Mainly because I don't think Shepard will RS.

So JJ gets his shot this year and next year while Shepard plays the Option QB, then I think Shepard gets the start his Sohm. year. I have a feeling Lee might transfer out if he loses the starting position to JJ, knowing that Shepard and Garrett are coming in next year.

I could be wrong about a lot of what I've said. However, I don't think JJ will redshirt no matter who wins the starting job.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

It all depends on Jefferson's ability to pick up the offense.

He'll be the best athlete out of the three, so he could be brought in to run plays like Perrilloux, maybe even more if Lee or Hatch don't separate themselves.

I'd say there's probably a 50% chance he redshirts, and about a 10% chance he starts any games next year.

7. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I think he will play some, thats about it. Les Miles, doesnt rely on freshmen alot. However, I think he would if the freshman was just way ahead of the curve. Lee or Hatch, will be fine this season. By the Auburn game we will have a full time starter.

8. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

I'm curious as to why you think JJ has a 50% chance at redshirting. To me, it's much lower than that.

The way I see it is, it's much worse to have JJ, Sheph, and Garrett stacked at QB then to have JJ come in and compete with Hatch and Lee.

Or do you believe like some that Shepard will eventually be moved over to WR/Scat-back position ah-la Harvey? That would be the only way that I could see JJ RS. Though I personally don't see that happening.

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Miles and JJ have said he will not redshirt a few times at the Tiger Tour, etc...

But I feel some are underestimating what it takes to come in a learn a system, especially Crowton's system. I do believe he will get some looks but not much because of the lack of time in the system, I think Hatch and Lee will perform better than expected, and Miles usually does not like to throw freshman into the critical spots. I also do not see JJ coming in and turning into a RP mold because he has never been the running type in HS.

He can run but he rarely does and stays in the pocket or rolls out to by extra time to throw downfield. Maybe they asked him to change that style for next year but that is not easy.

I would say they would keep a redshirt on him as long as possible but with only 2 QBs looking at playing time next year, one is likely to get banged up. Therefore, it will be almost impossible not to season him into the backup role in case one goes down. I see mop up duty in his 1st year.

I think Hatch will be the official starter when the season starts but both will have fairly balanced plays there are in for with the warm up games. Both will be Hatch and Lee will still be given their fair share of opportunities to claim the starting spot for the AU game. I think Hatch will be the starter for that game and if he plays consistently will get 70-85% of the snaps. (way to early prediction but I am sticking by it for now)

So overall I see Hatch as the main QB this coming season and Lee will have ample opportunites to either take the leading role or pick up the slack should Hatch get banged up. JJ will get mop up duty but stick to the pocket. Hatch will be our primary QB for designed QB running and option plays.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I don't believe that is a big consideration. The primary factor is whether Jefferson playing helps our offense, which is based on Jefferson's preparedness & Hatch/Lee's abilities. I see about a 50% chance that Jefferson is prepared to play at a capacity which brings something to the table which Hatch & Lee cannot.

I think Shepard stays at QB, but again I don't think that is relavent.