Jordan Jefferson

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by KTeamLSU, May 2, 2008.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Not exactly. Miles has said Jefferson will be looked at & may play.

I agree.

Hatch has run the option & is decent at it, but Jefferson is more physical, bigger, and a better athlete & I think those are pretty easy plays to learn. If Jefferson doesn't redshirt, I think he'll be doing some designed runs.

2. LesIsMore

LesIsMore Founding Member

There's not even a chance he will start 1 game. If he's lucky he may get 10 snaps this season. Maybe.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Right but the number of times he has said it and the feeling you get from reading and hearing him say it makes me believe there is a slim chance he takes a redshirt. Miles seems very confident in his abilities to compete with the other QBs this year. Jefferson has said he will not redshirt.

4. Potted Plant

Potted Plant Founding Member

Don't sleep on J. Jefferson. I think this kid has better physical tools than Lee. His arm is stronger and his legs are quicker. I don't think he will redshirt. I think he will be the "athletic" half of the 2-quarterback system this year, and he may or may not win the starting job by the end of the season.

5. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Lee was a top prospect in High School, not chopped liver. While Jefferson may be a stronger arm, it matters little if he doesn't know the plays. I find it hard to believe he will get above him in the depth chart this year, when Lee will have had a year and a 1/2 in Crowton's system. Jefferson will surely have a chance to run some plays this year, but he will not be a starter.

People are too quick to discount Hatch or Lee.

6. Potted Plant

There are whispers that Lee is not developing as hoped or expected when he was recruited. That's one of the reasons Hatch is ahead of him (or at least close to him). Reading between the lines of some premium articles, it seems like the coaches are hoping that Jefferson at least pushes Lee, if not passes him.

It wouldn't shock me at all. Lee's solid, but I genuinely think Jefferson has the higher upside if he develops.

7. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Unless JJ is a special talent, we are in trouble if he is forced to start. RP wasn't given the reins to run the total offense in the SECC Game. Even though he had good stats, he only scored once. Tennessee gave up a lot of TDs last season and we still struggled to score.

8. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

I agree, but he still has to learn the plays. Even if he is a prodigy, it's going to take time. His last game/practice was in high school, not the SEC.

Toliver last year is a perfect example. Unreal upside, the #1 WR recruit in the country, and he played sparingly. Primarily because he failed to learn the plays. You think it might be a bit more difficult for a QB since he has to know what every person on the field is doing?

Both Qb's looked fine to me in the spring game and I imagine one or both will perform well this year behind a very good OLine. I think JJ may get to play, but I just can't see him starting.

9. Potted Plant

I think Toliver played sparingly in part because it was tough to pick up the offense, and in part because we had quality veterans in front of him. Jefferson comes into a different situation. Crowton wasn't going to simplify things to make them easy on Toliver, but he may HAVE to do that with Jefferson.

I'm not saying it would be a an altogether good thing if Jefferson were to win the starting job, because it would have to be predicated in part on a failure by Lee. I do think, however, that Jefferson will play this year, and will be a significant contributor, at least in a simplified "athletic" quarterback role.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Toliver would have been at least our 4th WR (third with Doucet out) last year if he knew the playbook. We had guys who had been in the system longer, but nobody with as much upside as him & nobody that had stepped up to deserve being a starter. That's pretty much the same situation Jefferson comes into.