Jordy's interview with Miles

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by slippery pete, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

I was about to ask a question about Porter in the recruiting thread on these same lines. On this same topic, is DJ McCarthy also a threat to be moving? If so, a lot of turmoil between now and signing day, even without last night.

2. arizonafan

arizonafan Veteran Member

I disagree with this. He completed some real pressure passes in a VERY difficult situation. But even if it's true his lack of pocket awareness doesn't come into play if he just has to turn around & hand it off, right? Crowton's playcalling is garbage but the whole time management or lack of it is on Miles. He is the overpaid HC and the buck stops there. Period!

3. downtown

downtown Founding Member

Well, you're a nice person then. Because Hallman is the only person who did something that rivaled the imbecileness (< new word) of what we saw on Saturday. Hallman was such a genius that we once kicked off to begin the 1st half and then again to begin 2nd half. He was a great recruiter, but he was clueless as a coach.

It could possibly be because of how everyone (media, etc., will continue to blow this up even bigger). But I think he'll be back for next year.

I was a little young for Archer, but it was time for Hallman to go when we got rid of him. We gave him enough time. And it was time for DiNardo to go as well. DiNardo really did have it rolling for a few years and brought us a couple of the most memorable moments in the history of LSU football. His downfall was hiring Lou Tepper. That was possibly the worst hire ever. That was a helpless feeling watching that defense and that mind-boggling scheme.

As for Miles, the signs have been there for a long time with the last second victories, clock management issues, etc. But we have won and we have killed teams in bowls and ended the season well. That is very important. But things add up and when you start costing your team a chance at a W for the world to see after they've executed like you've asked, it gets harder.

I've never felt Miles was an ego guy. Saban was an ego guy. He could never hold onto coaches.

But I never felt our program could ever really collapse under Saban. With Miles, I've always felt that it could get away from him. To his credit, he made changes with the defensive staff last year when things were starting to fall apart. But now we've got offensive issues and our D is regressing with no improvement on the D-line.

As for Ok. St. fans and their complaints, I think they were just mad that he left because he put them on the map.

Miles took over a pathetic Oklahoma St. program at the time. They had been to 1 bowl game and had only one winning record in 12 years prior to his arrival. They finished finished 3-8 the year before he got there and hadn't won a bowl game in 12 years.

In Miles 2nd year, they had a winning record with 8 wins and a bowl game victory. He matched their highest regular season win total in the history of the program in his third year with 9 wins. They lost a nail-biter to a great Ole Miss team in the Cotton Bowl that year. That was the team with Eli that almost beat LSU during LSU's NC run. Miles went to three straight bowls and was the first coach there to EVER do that. Jimmy Johnson didn't even do that when he was there.

They beat OU@OU in his first year and then again in his second year with OU being ranked in the top 4 both times (knocking them out of National Championship contention). Stoops killed them in year three, but they almost upset OU again in Miles' last year. That's impressive considering Oklahoma State's record against OU is one of the most lopsided things you ever want to see. Miles is the ONLY coach in OSU history to ever win back to back games against OU and they were waaaaaaay better during his time there than before he got there.

So even though I'm not sure how he did it, Miles definitely did something right over there in a big way.

4. arklasecfan

arklasecfan Freshman

I don't post much on this forum and would never call out a regular but lsufan2000 is a guest and wants to talk down a player. Dude you don't have a clue about team and responsibility. You cannot put this on JJ and say the coaching staff deserves no blame. It doesn't matter how smart he is or if he isn't physically ready to play. It goes back to the coaching staff and on up the chain to CLM. No player puts himself on the field, only a coach does that. If the kid, obviously you don't have any, messes up you still have to support them, not tear them down. He probably barely has any spending money. At least put the blame on the people who make big money to pull the strings. Don't blame the kids, jerk.