Josh Booty has been cut

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUBayouBengals, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Browns give the boot to Booty

NFL.com wire reports

BEREA, Ohio (Sept. 17, 2003) -- Josh Booty never saw this hit coming.

The third-string quarterback was blindsided by Cleveland Browns coach Butch Davis, who waived him.

"It's crazy," said Booty, who spent the past two seasons on Cleveland's roster backing up Tim Couch and Kelly Holcomb. "Where's the loyalty?"

Booty was playing golf in Akron when Davis called to tell him he was no longer needed. The news stunned the 28-year-old, who played five seasons of pro baseball in the Florida Marlins' organization before signing with the Browns in 2001.

"I was like, 'What?, you're kidding,"' Booty said. "If we're 2-0 right now, I don't get released. It doesn't make any sense. You don't do that in the third week of the season. I'm getting calls right and left from guys on the team wondering what happened."

Davis claims he made the move to free up a roster spot, and that it had nothing to do with Booty or his performance. The Browns did a survey of NFL games over the past five years and found that third-string quarterbacks were used in only 10 games, Davis said.

Cleveland signed offensive lineman Craig Osika, who was waived by San Francisco. The Browns (0-2) play the 49ers in Week 3.

Booty figured he was in the Browns' long-term plans.

Although he hadn't played in a regular-season game in three years, Booty received high praise from Davis and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

There's a strong possibility that either Holcomb or Couch won't be with the Browns next season, and Booty, who has a strong arm and feels he can someday start in the league, figured he would be a backup.

"It's crazy, man. They were telling me that I was climbing up the ladder," Booty said. "One of those two quarterbacks probably isn't going to be here next year."

The Browns have another quarterback, rookie Nate Hybl, on their practice squad. But Booty thinks the club is taking a "risk" by not having another experienced quarterback on its active roster.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's a tough business. There is no such thing as loyalty in the NFL. All college juniors should take heed. Unless you are a special talent, a "lock" to make a club, I would stay put until my senior season was over.

3. tigerm

tigerm Founding Member

It's the "in" thing....

It appears to the "in" thing to do - the Saints just cut their third string QB. I guess they figure the player is likely to be "waiting in the wings" and not signed by anyone else - so he can easily be re-signed if either #1 or #2 goes down.

If every team cuts their 3rd stringer, there is likely to be little movement during the season - everyone wants to have someone available that already knows their offense. If you want to believe in conspiracies - a case could be argued that there is some collusion goind on. :D

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What a crybaby

5. SabanFan

Yeah. He didn't exactly take it like a man. Do we see a trend here? Brock Berlin can't beat out Grossman so he hauls butt to Miami; JD Booty's Dad gets axed so he hauls butt to USC; Now Josh gets cut as a 3rd string QB and acts like it's a big conspiracy or something. Dude, you were 3rd string. Not like you should have bought a house there.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Speaking of taking it like a man, back in the days when Rock Hudson and Doris Day were making those crappy movies together the studio arrainged for them to get married in order to stifle the rumors that Rock was gay. On their wedding night just before they were to consumate their marraige Rock tells Doris to Roll over and take it like a man.

7. SabanFan

When I heard that Rock Hudson was gay I was so bummed that I drank a bottle of Crown and cried while listening to a Jim Nabors album over and over.

8. DEFENSE

DEFENSE Founding Member

Booty

Booty's dad is not at USC. He went to a school in Shreveport named Calvary Baptist and will start a varsity football team next year. It also will have a Booty a QB. Jack Booty.

I have all the respect in the world for Josh b/c he came back to LSU after playing baseball and he gave up alot of money, not many people would do that. He stuck around even during the Dinardo/McConnel offensive days. I agree he didn't turn out to be the QB everyone wanted him to be. I'm no way an Evangel fan, I'm just stating the facts.

9. BasileTiger

BasileTiger Founding Member

Great line defense!!

I'm with you on this one. I never dis-liked Josh. I actually thought he tried his best to be the best at LSU. He just had to high of credentials coming out of Evangel. I do wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors, whether that's in the NFL or not.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Re: Great line defense!!

I wish Josh the best of luck in his future endeavors too. Maybe one day I'll buy a used car from him.