Just curious, what effect do you think coaches leaving has on recruiting?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by hubreb, Jan 14, 2003.

1. hubreb

hubreb Freshman

Not trying to flame, but what effect do you think assistant coaches leaving has on recruiting? For instance we are recruiting the same players you all are, if a position coach from LSU leaves does that hurt your chances with that recruit?

2. hubreb

hubreb Freshman

again i am not trying to flame, but 4-2 versus the tiggers the last 6 years does not give you much of an advantage in recruiting

3. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

Yes and No

It depends on the recruit. If a player has grown up commited to one school then "No". But if a player is persuaded by a certain coach or is going to commit because of a certain coach, then, "Yes", it would heavily effect recruiting.

4. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

Yea but our SEC championship sure does. And the fact that you guys haven't won one in forever also helps.

5. tigerm

tigerm Founding Member

Hey guys, not that I am an Ole Miss fan - but the guy seemed to pose a legitimate question and went out of his way to do so politely. Hopefully we will not get as bad as some of our SEC bretheren and at least show some class!

I concur with one of the earlier replies that as long as what is being sold is the school and the tradition rather than the coach - then the relationship should survive. Also, it is possible that Saban was up front with the players and told them a coaching change might be in the works (if he knew it was coming).
    GEAUX TIGERS!

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

In my opinion a position coach comes in about 6th on a recruits priority list following:

1. possibility of early playing time
    2. school tradition
    3. head coach
    4. distance from home
    5. academic programs
    6. position coach

I don't think they affect recruiting much at all. Assistant coaches have to move around to find jobs and to advance. The recruits know how the coaching business works and they understand.

7. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

bigj4lsu
    You are right the SEC Championship gives us a huge advantage. But that has nothing to do with the question. lets try to have legit recruiting chat with other SEC fans, and save the trash talk and the "I have more championships than you" smack until game week. I know its hard especially since he is an Ole Miss fan!!!

Lets not scare them off

8. hubreb

hubreb Freshman

Think about a guy like Will Arnold? I believe that is his name.....he is an O lineman and I believe your O line coach left earlier this year....why would you go to that school if you do not know who your coach is going to be for the next 4 years? I don't know how recruiting works, but unless I was a die hard fan of a school, i may want to know more about who i am going to be spending my time with

9. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

didnt we hire an O-line coach last week(Stacy Seareals-sp?)?

position coaches come and go anyway....unless you can find a quality coach that doesnt care about moving up the ranks. yeah, think about that for a min....a really good coach who does not care about money or promotions...hmmm

position coaches (and assistant coaches) move on for bigger and better things (or are fired...like rumors have said about Yarno)

odds are they probably dont think much about "hmmm...i wonder who will be coaching special teams in 3 years"...there are just too many other good things to look at.

10. hubreb

hubreb Freshman

to eleven; sure coaches want to move on to bigger and better things, but look at Saban's history (assistants in and out the door and not just because they are trying to move up - remember no coaches came with him from MichSt)....obviously it has not affected him to much with his winning record - but if you are trying to build consistency you might think it would have a more profound affect on recruiting - what is to say not a Nat'l Champ......to be the best you have to get the best