Just curious, what effect do you think coaches leaving has on recruiting?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by hubreb, Jan 14, 2003.

1. dplsu

dplsu Founding Member

I really think that this is an absolutely rediculous question. Have any of you EVER heard a recruit decommit due to a position coach leaving a school....I sure have not. Red55, I think position coach is much further down the line than 6th. What about practice facilities, or the teams chances of winning a championship the next 4 years, or MOST importantly, how the program fits the player, or the fact that a lot of players choose the school that they have been a fan of. Also, the recruit often times is not being recruited initially by the coach for his position anyway.

And not to be totally negative about our Reb visitor but he sure has a way of sounding polite and insulting at the same time. I wouldn't call citing 4-2 over the past 6 years as being polite...it was a shot. And to insinuate that the record would have an effect on a recruit is laughable. If a recruit is really looking at the past and not the potential future for the school of his choice and himself, then I say I hope UM gets him because he doesn't sound too bright.

How often have the Rebs had a top ten recruiting class? Position coaches do have a lot of influence, don't get me wrong, but if they were that important, they would have the million dollar contract. Saban's the man and he could have mickey mouse coaching the O-line and still have a top ten class.

2. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

I think It depends on the school. For instance, a school with a lot of tradition and succes, would probably see less effect on recruiting on a assistant leaving. However a school with not so much tradition and success would probably suffer with the loss of a certain coach during recruiting season.

Example: Say a QB is trying to decide between LSU and Tulame. If this were to happen OBVIOUSLY the Tulane coach is doing one hell of a job in persuading this guy to come play for him. So, if all of a sudden the Tulane coach left it would probably greatly influence his decision. Whereas, if LSU's coach left it probably would not effect it as much.

3. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

well, its not like we're hurting in recruiting here. i think we're #2 as of now... our RB coach left...but yeah...we have commitments from three of the top 10 TBs in the nation (including Vincent from last season)..and one of those is from Maryland. getting a top flight RB from Maryland to come to school in south La is pretty good.

we've had strong O-line classes since Saban has been here...including one of the tops in '00....and it looks like we have some good ones this year. including Will Arnold....

4. hubreb

hubreb Freshman

dplsu, sorry you think i am insulting...my 4-2 record discussion was in response to a rather negative post......yes this is your board, but i am just defending my alma matta...if you read my last post, then you would note that i am aware of Sabban's history....but to say a position coach has no influence is rediculous...most pos./ assist. coaches also hold other postions; say recruiting for a specific state, or a certain type of kid (one guy doesn't do all the recruiting).....one more thing.....how many times have the rebs had a top 10 recruiting class? well, if they judged recruiting classes on how many actually make it in school, we would be alright....please, don't talk down to a rebel when you haven't been any where near dominate over our program in a long while

5. geauxscott

dplsu

"I really think that this is an absolutely rediculous answer"

Of course you don't hear a player say "I choose Ole Miss because LSU's OL coach left". They say "I felt this was the better fit for me". Of course not in every case does coaching changing effect recruiting but I beleive that it has more effect than you think.

And on hubreb's comments. he was just firing back. He asked a legit question and the first reply was just as much a shot as reb's shot. He is not a flamer (at least not on this board, who knows what he does in his free time;) ) I do agree with most of what you said especially the Ole Miss vs LSU record in the past 6 years not having any type of influence on recruiting competition.

6. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

oh...and DandyDon has just reported that Sean Merrill has commited to Da Tigahs!!

so i guess position coaches really dont matter after all....

what ironic timing for this post Reb ;)

7. hubreb

hubreb Freshman

merrill, is the tops in MS; congrats

8. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

appreciate it...

its not over yet...Mr. Long's site is the only place where ive seen this mentioned....so it could just be a bad source.

and signing day is in a month anyway

9. dplsu

dplsu Founding Member

I never said Reb was a flamer...I said his comment was a shot and I don't care what his motivation. READ my post reb, I never insinuated dominance over your program...NOR did I say position coaches have NO influence on a recruit. I said that along with Red55's factors, there were several other factors that were more or equally important to a recruit when choosing a school.

Was your question legitimate, probably so. But if you really wanted to make it legit, how about citing some historical precedence that would validate your opinion.

In practicing what I preach, here's some historical precedence to validate my opinion. Since Saban has been at LSU he has lost somewhere around 9 or so assistant coaches either by their own choosing or by his. During that time he has won an SEC championship being a heavy underdog, won the peach bowl being a heavy underdog, won the Sugar Bowl being a heavy underdog, has gone 2-1 against UM, and each year has had a top 5 recruiting class. So has losing assistants hurt recruiting, my opinion is still No. And one last point on recruiting...and this is not implying any type of dominance at all reb, just stating facts to support my theory...LSU currently has 6 or so top 100 commitments, UM....0!

I do appreciate your post though reb, I mostly just lurk until I see something that inspires me a little.

10. geauxscott

dplsu
    good points. Your thoughts on whether the loss of coaches effects LSU recruiting are very well taken and true.We have been very successful in bringing in the recruits despite loseing coaches. But even though he did use LSU as an example, I don't believe he was directing that question directly at LSU. Just asking a general question that the answer might be different in different situations. Yes, in our (LSU's) case this has not proven to be true in recent past but I believe it is a pretty big deal to some schools, and concerning some particular coaches.