Just curious, what effect do you think coaches leaving has on recruiting?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by hubreb, Jan 14, 2003.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Reb, Nick didn't bring any coaches from Michigan State because he didn't want them, he was just being polite. He knew he needed southern coaches to recruit in the SEC, and that's who he hired.

I've said it before, but I don't think that turnover among assistant coaches is a bad thing. It should never be forgotton that both McClendon and Dinardo were guilty of being too loyal to long-time assistants who were not getting the job done. It cost them their jobs and Nick is no fool.

Also the coaching profession is nomadic. Assistants often must move frequently in order to advance. Haywood had spent 8 years at LSU under two head coaches and had done all that he could do here. He needed to punch his ticket at another football program in his quest for an OC job somewhere.

It's a good thing to cull any deadwood from the staff, we can't afford it. It's also good for Nick to support asssistants who make career moves to another school. It's a very good thing to get new coaching talent on their way up. Finally it's a good thing for the program to be thought of as a place for bright, ambitious coaches to learn the trade under Nick. This keeps the talent level high.

Getting top assistants is as important as getting top recruits and we should think of it in that way. Nick needs to have an staff opening or two every year in order to take advantage of the coaching talent that is available.

Having said all of this, I agree that it is better if assistant coaches stick for 4 or 5 years rather than 1 or 2. It is also important for Nick to take care of and retain his coordinators and some top position coaches for longer terms, for continuity's sake. But adding some new blood every season seems to be a good plan to me.

I don't think any of this hurts recruiting. The players know how the coaching business works. They don't come to a school because of the position coach, in my opinion. The choose based on playing time, head coach, football traditions, distance from home, championship potential, facilities, and fans.

2. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

there are only 3 coaches who recruits care about....

they are the Head coach, OC, and DC. Also the schemes that they use are really important to recruits, other than that the position coaches don't really matter like they do in the pro's, because pro and college football are 2 different things.

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Gee Ward being a little hard on the Rebel today...

I think it matters very little. Players come for several reasons.

1. Facilities (Tiger Stadium being a huge draw)
    2. Head Coach and OC and DC
    3. Location to home (Remember these are still kids)
    4. Philosophy - See QB who left A&M
    5. Chicks... And Having been to Ole Miss they have the best looking chicks in the SEC so you got us beat just barely on that.;)

Among other things like being a fan of that school, etc etc

I think unless the Kid has become very close to that coach during the process it matters little I think. The whole "Saban Loses all his coaches each year has got to kill him" has produced

1. A Number 1 recruiting Class
    2. A number 15 recruiting Class
    3. Currently a top 5 and possibly Better recruiting class
    4. An SEC and Sugar Bowl Championship
    5. 2-1 in Bowls including back to back New Year Day games.

I think that says it all about coaches leaving.

Welcome Hubreb. Come back and visit. Glad to see Eli is sticking around.

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Good topic.

One thing I think is going over looked that shows how little (or much) an asst can have on a recruit.

Asst coaches recruit by geographic region not by position. so a DC might be recruiting a QB. In some instance though you have the match example Muschamp recruiting Merrill = DC recruiting DL.

My point being a recruit some times might not even meet his position coach until his official visit. So the foundation was laid by someone who will have little to do with him once practice starts. Under that scenario, I think losing a recruits position coach would have no effect.

On the flip side, suppose you have a coach recruiting whatever position. He pushes the school hard...."Great place to be, I've loved it here, You'll love it here....etc". At the same time the coach is in the running for another job.......do you tell your employer when you are interviewing for another job?....much less your customers? Suppose he takes the job....it's a case by case basis.....how much did the coach pour it on......how much did the recruit rely on it.......it could go either way. A coach is a reflection of the program.......if he builds the school up to a recruit and leaves....it could result in a bad result or no effect. Alot depends on the recruit......the more mature ones know what they are looking for which is beyond who an asst coach is.....others love the "getting my ass kissed" and whoever pours it on the most without disrupting it (ie, losing a coach) will get his services.

Good topic HubReb, even though you cheer for Butcliffe.

Guess I should change my handle to HubLSU.

5. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

What about a recruit's High School coach?

All these lists and no one mentions the power of a recruit's High School coach to sway a recruit one way or another. Seems like a lot of fans have jumped all over certain High School coaches because their kids never come to LSU. I have never thought that they should have that much influence, but it certainly looks like they do when you look at certain schools and situations from the past.

For all those that made lists, where do you think the High School coach fits in?

6. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Re: What about a recruit's High School coach?

Good point, not that it would be limited to this but those kids without a father figure probably put a lot of stock in what their high school says.

Case in point (don't know if there was a father figure or not)....Albert Means.......in this case though it did him no good......not playing football and the coach is in/going to jail.

7. hubreb

hubreb Freshman

insight since we lost are recruiting coordinator last w

since we lost our d'backs coach.....in interviews one guy said, since our coach left, that was who he had the best relationship with and he chose another school......2 others said it didn't make a difference