Just got the first odds to win the BCS National Championship...Look at this

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Apr 1, 2004.

1. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

USC -------- 4 to 1
    Oklahoma --- 8 to 1
    Miami ------- 10 to 1
    Texas, Georgia, Florida State --- 12 to 1
    LSU and Ohio State ------------ 13 to 1
    Michigan and Florida ----------- 15 to 1
    Auburn ------------------------ 25 to 1

Interesting. I think USC and Oklahoma are legitimate but Texas and Florida State?

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

USC is not at all legitimate as the favorite anymore, with the loss of yet another lineman. There is no experience on that O-line coming into this year (4 are gone due to being seniors, using pellet guns and being injured). And with both receivers now gone, Mr. Leinhart will not be so successful. Their starting fullback is out for the year as well. Their defense will probably be better, but still not great (they lost a couple of key guys on D as well).

I think if Matt Mauck had stayed, you would probably see LSU's odds probably set at 8 to 1 or better. I think this is the major factor in LSU being further down this list.

USC's easy PAC-10 conference is the lone reason for having them so high up, but I don't think they will be able to beat LSU in the Orange Bowl.

3. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

The USC thing could get interesting if the NFL's appeal of the Clarret ruling is overturned. ESPN analyst Chris Mortenson has speculated that Mike Williams may be "returned to the pond". I don't see how they could do that in time for the '04 season, but stranger things have happened when the NCAA gets involved. This much I know, USC is much less a threat without BMW at wideout...... and BTW, Auburn should likely be more like 40:1 simply because of their SOS in '04. Even if they win all of their games, which I see as unlikely, they will receive criticism over the weak schedule.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

USC is going to have some major problems "repeating" this year, just like any past champs have had. LSU faces incredible hurdles to make it to Miami, but I think our shot is as good as USC's.

Texas should NOT be up there. The talent level at UT is nowhere near where it was in '01 and '02, and Vince Young has not convinced me that he's a top QB (he's actually very similar to Marcus Randall, without age on his side.) And then there's Mack Brown--not a championship-caliber coach.

But look at it this way, LSU's odds were probably far lower going into the '03 season, right?

5. GMoney2600

GMoney2600 Founding Member

6. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I wonder if USC wins the BCS title next year, if they'll moan and groan about
    the legitimacy of a title "awarded by computers"?

7. tigerleg24

tigerleg24 Guest

What if these kids (Mike Williams, etc) hired an agent? Will the NCAA let them come back and play?

8. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

LSU was 40-1 going into the 03 season. I know this very well.....

:geaux: :champs:

:tigerhead

9. Houma Tiger

Houma Tiger Founding Member

i wish i had put a couple thousand on them

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

LSU's odd are high because we have a new QB and new WR's. The rating will change as the season gets on. Up or down depending on how quickly LSU's passing game develops.