Just My Two Cents LSU Football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Sabertooth, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

I'm looking forward to the game this weekend. I think the Tigers need to take the mindset of perfecting execution. This is the perfect opponent to accomplish this. I had the opportunity to attend Sunday's game in Blacksburg. I always think you see more in person about the game than on TV. TV is good to evaluate specific details of a play. When you are at the game in person you see the overall perspective. Here's my evaluation to date:

QBs Grade C-
    I hope noone was expecting Mauck to put up eye popping numbers against VA Tech’s defense. Mauck has not completed over 50% of his passes yet in any game or scrimmage. To say Mauck is the main reason why LSU lost the game is just plain ignorant. Mauck did nothing to lose the game for LSU, which is the first thing everyone should look at. To say Matt Mauck did nothing to increase LSU’s chances of winning is probably more appropriate. Hopefully, we will see an improvement this Saturday. Things to look for this Saturday - execution (hitting receivers in stride and not wasting timeouts because you cannot get the play off, etc..). I would also like to see how Randall is progressing.

RBs Grade C

Saban was correct with his assessment that we did not run the ball enough on Sunday. Toefield was averaging 4 yards a carry. Davis was having a hard time. VA Tech’s quickness negated Davis effectiveness. Toefield would have been more effective with more carries. That is why if LSU could have had a lead going into the second half, we would have seen a different story and probably a worn down Tech defense would have negated their speed. Also, we just cannot afford to put the ball on the ground like we did against Tech. Things to look for on Saturday - NO fumbles lost by the running backs and more than 200 yards of rushing.

WRs Grade D

What is there to say - 8 dropped passes with probably 4 or more which would have given LSU first downs. That is at least 12 more offensive plays. LSU played a lot of different receivers against Tech, which I did not like to see. Playing as many receivers like LSU played sure did not help Mauck any with his rhythm and timing. I think we should have waited until this week to play all those receivers. I was sure disappointed we did not go down the field more and utilize our receiver's size. Things to look for this Saturday - NO or very FEW dropped passes.

Offensive Line Grade - Run Blocking B-/Grade - Pass Blocking D

We did a decent job run blocking against Tech - only one running play for a negative gain. We had very few pre snap penalties and holding calls. Pass blocking - Whew - what a different story. I really like Rodney Reed's leadership qualities but he definitely needs to make the biggest improvement. He was getting beat most of the day on Sunday. Whitworth was a pleasant surprise. The interior line did an average job with room to improve. Things to look for on Saturday - Give Mauck enough time to stand in the pocket and throw the ball - PASS BLOCKING.

Defensive Line - Grade B+

What a great game for Chad Lavalais. You just don't see those kinds of numbers that Lavalais posted often by an interior defensive lineman. I thought will had decent pressure on the quarterback but could improve on containment. Spears and Hill had good games for their first start collectively. Things to look for Saturday - SACKS baby SACKS and no containment breakdowns.

Linebacker Grade - Grade B-

Bradie James was end on a lot of plays. Missed assignments hurt us on some key plays. VA Tech had a big play on a RB flare/screen pass. We need to see some improvement on containment by our outside linebackers - too many big runs against VA Tech on the outside. We did a good job of stuffing the middle. Things to look for on Saturday - Containment on the outside, minimize missed assignment and tackling.

Defensive Backs - Grade C

Although VA Tech did not pass a lot when they did most of them were towards Hookfin. Hookfin is at a bit of a disadvantage with his size. Most DB with a lack of size make up for it with speed and fundamental techniques. I'm still not seeing none of this with Hookfin. They did not throw a whole lot towards Gay so it’s hard to form an opinion on Gay. Lejeune played an average game but miss some big tackles - the one on 3 and 11 where (I think Jones) broke his tackle and switch directions and ran for 40 yards setting up Tech’s last touchdown. Lejeune was getting most of Saban's wrath Sunday on the sidelines. Things to look for on Saturday - Improvement by Hookfin and NO to very few MISS tackles.

Special Teams Grade F

What is there to say? Field position was the key to the game. It was very easy to see the psychology effect "the talk about VA Tech special teams" had on Donnie Jones. People will say we did have a punt return for a touchdown that got call back. EXACTLY - it got call back. We need more discipline and field awareness to know not to make that kind of block on a defensive linemen that had no bearing on the play. Davis was a good 5-10 yards pass them. It’s hard to believe that we were that unprepared on SPECIAL TEAMS with what we thought was where all the focus was going to be. Things to look for on Saturday - A LOT - Donnie Jones punting (punt for a better average - hopefully we do not have to punt against The Citadel), BIG positive plays - punt returns and kickoffs, NO NO NO Block punts. I did notice one thing - it sure was taking a long time for the snap to get back to Jones on Sunday. It definitely was not crisp.

Coaching Grade D

The team was not prepared- that falls on the coaches. The offensive game plan was questionable. I’m not too worried about Jimbo. I’m sure he will rebound quite nicely. It amazing how the media plays the cat and mouse game. " I do not expect to see Mauck throw the ball more than 15-20 times." Nobody would have thought that LSU would have thrown the ball so much, however the score did dictate some of that. Keep in mind; LSU was throwing the ball a lot EARLY in the game. Muschamp - good job for the first game. Things to look for on Saturday - Players coming out ready to play and not flat and also a good mixture of run and pass on the offense.

I hope everyone liked my two cents. This is just my opinion and I could be right and wrong about some things.

2. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I saw Cameron Vaughn make a nice play. How is the battle between he and Turner shaping up? Who was the guy on D that allegedly had 8 blown assignments?

3. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Nice two cents worth. Everthing is going to get better. I did not see any part of the game that deserved an A. The running backs dropped their share of passes also. I,m still having trouble getting up for the citadel. Once I hear the band I,m sure that will change.GEAUX TIGERS!!!

4. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

Good Job

Good Job I believe you hit it right on the head

ITS SO LOUD YOUR DEAF

5. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Great Post, Sabertooth!

I agree with your analysis.

6. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Review of your assesments:

QB, Agree, but I think you are being a little kind to Mauck. I believe we have a serious problem at QB. I hope I am wrong.

RB, disagree slightly. I believe their play was effected by OL & lack of repetitions.

WR - agree, but they sure played a lot of them, didn't they?

OL - Tough game for them. Va. Tech rush is tough, tough, tough. I believe the injury to Ben Wilkerson hurt the pass blocking assignments more than you might think. Also the rushing game is much better when he is in there. He is a super center, & his injury was noticed. The tight end play was erractic at best.

Defense & special teams, I agree. I think you are a little hard on Hookfin, but maybe not. #7, Adrian Mayes? looked confused, when he was in there.

Coaching - I guess I kind of agree, with the "buck stops here" kind of thing, but scheduling Va. Tech as an away opener while they had a previous game ranks up there also.

7. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Chipeace if the running backs were affected by the OL then why wasn't the Quarterback play excused for the same reason. I have heard the excuses that the passes that Mauck threw were not precisely on target. Well I just watched the replay of the first half and I saw the VT QB (3) throw two passes. One was thrown at the receivers feet, which the VT receiver scooped up at shoe level for a catch. The other was thrown to a receiver who was hit at about the time the ball got there and the receiver held on.
    In regards to Hookfin, fans have defended this guy for two years and since I am not a coach I cannot say it is not justified. Speaking as a fan, in every game the opposing coach picks on him repeatedly. I watched VT in the first half, as they lined up for the play, Hookfin started running down field ten to fifteen yards away from his man. The receiver ran down field toward Hookfin, turned in and made about a twelve yard gain. I suppose he is the best we have and is giving his best. Hope he continues to improve.

8. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Roy,

I still feel that Mauck can improve, but expectations for this season were high, maybe too high. If Mauck were better, I'd be more comfortable with the Miami game.