Just watched

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by GxLSU1, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

Actually, JR needed to get the ball there a split-second earlier, so that Doucet would have caught the ball in stride. Still, it was a great effort by those two freshmen, who will hook up a lot in the future. Lots to look forward to.

GEAUX TIGERS

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Lots and lots and lots to look forward too.

Oh to be an LSU Tiger fan.

Another way to look at it, would you rather have the talent/recruiting of LSU or Auburn in these next 3-4 years?

Cheer up, people, it's gonna be a fun ride back to the top!

3. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

Russell may have a cannon for an arm, but he needs a scope on it. He threw balls at receiver’s feet and behind them all night. All this talk about young, inexperienced receivers not making catches is horse ****. JR needs to get more accurate and develop a better feel for game time throws. Obviously game time experience will help get this done, but who on this board posted this summer we just need a QB that wont beat us?
    :usaflagwa :laflagwav :lsug:

4. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Looking beyond that play, I cannot wait to see Doucet and Russell form a chemistry in years to come...That is seriously going to be a sick combo in years to come....

5. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I am not sure we should be acting as if the 40 yard kick would have been good anyway. We had a great kick by Jackson earlier but he has been far from consistent

6. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

my question is....

where the hell is Xavier Carter at in our offense? I saw him get one touch at Auburn on the end around, and I think the whole stadium could have gueesed that play was coming then.

we have all this speed with Carter and Doucet, yet we have yet to see it. nothing downfield at all. what gives Nick?

7. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

I don’t think we have a QB who can throw the long ball constantly (at least right now). Hell, everyone is talking about what a great passer JR is… but he can not reliably throw a 10 yard slant route and hit the receiver in stride. How about short hopping the bubble screen on a regular basis? The receivers are frustrated. Watch the replay of the Auburn game and see their frustration when they are open and the ball is on their shoe strings, behind them or way over their heads. Now you want them to run 40 yard fly patterns and have JR hit them? Lets get the basics routes run properly and thrown properly first.

I agree stretching the field is a plus, but LSU would be better off moving the chains on every play. Look at the first series against Auburn. Auburn had no idea how to stop us on that series. Basic play calling Great execution. Shame on the coaches for getting away from that.
    :usaflagwa :laflagwav :lsug:

8. freddy

freddy Founding Member

I know the game is over and I hate to go here, but:
    If you look at the position of the safeties, IF Doucet catches the ball in stride the odds are better than 50-50 that he scores on that play. Even with the ball behind him only one man had a chance to make a tackle right away. Our course this is all speculation, but hopefully next time LSU is in the same situation they can make the play. And just to make sure, this play had very little to do with LSU losing the game. They had so many other chances.