Just when you thought Goodell couldn't go any further....

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Dec 8, 2013.

1. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I agree with you, and think that is part of the growing pains. I think that will settle down as the refs get more experienced about when to call it, and players aren't doing it as often b/c their tackling drills are emphasizing to avoid it. But, it frustrating when it happens right now. The Saints game yesterday was a prime example of what you are talking about. In my mind, though, if there are a lower percentage of players ending up w/TBI, then it will be worth a year of two of "over calls".

Regarding, the 50% of soldiers likely to get ALS due to TBI, if that number could be reduced due to improvements in an identifiable risk behavior or action, would you not be for that? It's admirable that you would serve again, but I would want you to be more protected, if possible, and those risks reduced. Again, I am not sure that it is possible in that role, but if it could, I would be for it, even if it meant changing patterns that have been in place for a long time.

Thanks for serving, amigo! You and I have talked before and I mentioned I was at Fort Hood for 4 years, but not in a combat role, so not at risk for TBI. I hope that is not something you are personally dealing with.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I guess we could ask the enemy to quit using those pesky roadside bombs.

No. Its war. It happens. Risk you take.

And in the NFL, you will get more of the guys just going right for the knees and ending guys careers that way.

I get your point, I really do and in theory it is sound. The problem is in reality it is ruining the game and will continue to do so. It is a domino effect and will only get worse.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

It would be one thing if Goodell really cared about player safety. But it's all a sham. It's all just to protect the NFL from lawsuits, that's the ONLY reason it's being done.

4. ParadiseiNC

You may be right, but in the end, if players finish their careers w/less TBI, then it's worth it, whatever the NFLs motivation was to get there.

Football is a sport, not a need. The example Shane gives of TBIs from warfare is something that really isn't fully avoidable and is a need for our nation. Football's fun and entertaining, but given the long term implications, I would argue that it is becoming not worth it. Better conditioning, nutrition, genetics, and/or steroids are resulting in some pretty big mofo's, and they are hitting harder, and that combined w/repeated head shots, it's just silly really. Why would you do that to yourself if you know it's just a game that I'll only play 10-15 years then not be able to walk or talk for the remaining half of my life?

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So then why are the top dollar guys (qb's and receivers) aka the players who put people in the stands, the ones protected? It's the tailbacks and linemen who have a better chance of getting head injuries, not qb's and receivers. Why not pour money into R&D for better helmets and head protection. I mean the NFL pays ZERO taxes.

To me it's strictly a $ thing not a safety thing.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  6. ParadiseiNC

Good points.

7. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I don't think the NFL is the money behind it, but I do think there are some new helmet prototypes being tested. Just being the official helmet of the NFL and sprinkled down into the NCAA would be a HUGE contract. That said, there's only so much protection they can provide and not impact speed and/or balance.

8. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Concussions will happen, it's a contact sport. The good thing is they are testing for it more and taking more precautions. However, I'm worried that we're gonna see an increase in torn ACL's, MCL's, etc from hitting low. True they aren't degenerative injuries like brain injuries but there's no place in the game for it and can still end a players career.