Just Wondering?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by jimbeaux, Aug 16, 2004.

1. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

Don't forget about the ACC this year. THe pollsters are just looking for a reason to put someone ahead of LSU. I wouldn't be surprised if you see USC-Florida State this year.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If the top three teams went undefeated:
    LSU would be 13-0.
    Oklahoma would be 13-0.
    Southern Cal would be 12-0.

LSU and Oklahoma would go to the Orange bowl but the AP would vote Southern Cal number one because they started the season at number one and nobody beat them.

The subjective media polls have got to be eliminated from BCS consideration. The Los Angeles team will always get more votes than teams from Oklahoma and Louisiana. Strength of schedule must be reinstated or teams from tough leagues like the SEC and Big 12 will rank lower than schools with cupcake schedules.

3. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Frankenstein White go undefeated ... muahahahaha

I can understand Peabody sniffin round this post ... LOL

Watch out Jimbo ... he'll be humpin' your leg

Oklahomer will be lucky to finish in the Top 10 this year ... and there isn't enough bionic technology to put that Frankenstein jigsaw puzzle back together again once they disassemble him (payback for his half a hundred antics ... you see) :hihi:

4. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

When you are ranked in the Top 5, I think it is more along the lines of probable then possible.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I really think that if LSU comes out of the UF game undefeated and untied we will move past everyone to the top of the polls due to all the publicity that gauntlet has been given by the wriers from around the country. Then the others will have to play catch up to us.

6. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Quit foolin' ureself Dave ... USC ... sickeningly enough ... has been anointed in 2004 ... THE CHOSEN ONES

Miami, USC & LSU should easily go undefeated ... I'm just hoping someone trips up those West Coast clowns ... otherwise they remain #1 irregardless of any other team performance ... even an undefeated LSU ... and you know it.

I wanna see LSU & Miami (at home) rumble ... let the bathhouse boys oil each other up again in the Rose Bowl ... where they belong.

7. bubbafong

bubbafong Founding Member

If LSU, USC and OU all went undefeated, LSU could get left out. I agree that the AP would keep USC first, b/c they have a problem moving anyone down if they don't lose, and b/c the AP is still sore about their dear USC not getting into the Sugar Bowl last year. Under this scenario, OU would most likely stay #2 as well, leaving LSU out. Now I know that's just the AP poll, but the problem is, under the new BCS formula, the AP poll makes up a 3rd of the total, which by the way is ridiculous. The ESPN/Coaches poll makes up another 3rd (which is also ridiculous), and you never know how the coaches will vote. They like to vote for schools in their conference to make themselves look better, and again, some would probably vote for USC just because of last year. If you remember, there were a few that voted for USC at the end of last year, even thought they were supposed to vote for LSU since they won the BCS championship game. There's just know way to know, but if enough of them vote for USC and OU over LSU, that's bad, since it's a 3rd of the total. Then there's the computers, and well, if I learned anything last year, it's that the computer rankings are a joke. I know they should be more subjective and non-biased, but they just seemed pretty out of whack at times last year. Granted, 2 have been dropped from the equation, including the New York Times, which was the one that was consistently screwing LSU, but still, you just don't know what they'll do. I'd like to think that they are more subjective, and less biased, but even so, under the new formula they only make up a 3rd.

So I'm not saying that LSU would get left out, but it's definitely possible. The fact that USC plays in a weak conference doesn't matter b/c strength of schedule is gone. And the fact that they don't play a conference championship game probably wouldn't matter, because it certainly didn't last year. Nor will the simple fact that without a conference championship game they'll have 1 fewer wins than another undefeated team. LSU and OU still had 1 more win a piece than USC, yet USC was still #1 in the human polls before the bowls.

And now the human (biased) polls will make up over 66% of the final rankings. Hip Hip Hooray. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that if USC goes undefeated, especially after what happened last year, they'll be going to the Rose Bowl. The question will be who their opponent will be.

As far as who I'd like to see play LSU in the Rose Bowl this year, out of the pre-season contenders, would have to be USC. OU, nah...been there, done that. Georgia, well they'll be knocked out in the SEC Championship, so they're not an option. Miami's just not that exciting to me. However, I would give money to see USC get spanked by LSU in the Rose Bowl this year. That would shut a lot of people up, and it would make me oh so happy.

Sorry for the long post. I don't know how to shut up. And it gives me something to do at work.

8. jimbeaux

jimbeaux "Have a Great Day"

great thoughts!!!!

Great Thoughts...but i was thinking that since we're ranked so high that we wouldn't get as many "quality wins" and the pts that go along with those wins.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Quality win points have been taken out of the BCS formula. SOS is still in the polls formula but not a stand alone component any longer.

For Miami to go through undefeated they will have to beat FSU twice probablt, like they did last season. May be hard for them to beat the Noles 4 times in 2 years.

And I really do think we have a great shot at moving up to number one if we leave Gainesville with no blemishes on our record.

10. bubbafong

bubbafong Founding Member

Possible, but think also about this: LSU will once again win with their smothering defense. Their offense will be good, but this is the SEC. There are other good offenses as well. It's the defense that shuts down the other good offenses that wins the games. At least that's how it was last year, and I assume it will be more of the same. No complaints from me, that's the way I like it. Nothing like seeing a Heisman caliber QB on his back.

However, USC will probably once again play Spurrier ball on those high school teams they play, running up the scores, and WOW-ing all of those dimwitted media types. If that's the case, I just don't see LSU overtaking USC in the human polls, even if both are undefeated. Possible though, I guess.