Just Wondering?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by jimbeaux, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Thug U won't have to beat the Criminoles twice. The ACC dosen't have a conference championship game yet. They will probably start one after next year when Boston College joins the conference giving them 12 teams.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

My bad, forgot BC wasn't in yet.

3. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Sure, it's possible, but it's been possible ever since the beginning of the major college era (which I roughly define as the time when interregional matchups began in earnest, not just the "I only play teams in my own part of the country" days in which a Penn St. could just crush the Temples and Rutgers of the world) and has not yet happened.

Three teams finishing 11 (or 12)-0? Very unlikely, but if they did, I believe LSU gets in this season because of the SEC Championship Game. Since the Big XII and SEC are the only two major conferences that have that extra game, it's impossible for all 3 undefeated teams in this scenario to play an extra game and be 12-0.

I'm not going to spend any time speculating on this one since it's so far fetched. I'll check in again on this thread if we get to, say, 9-0 USC/LSU/OU or somesuch thing.

4. Gandalf

Gandalf Founding Member

It wouldn't matter. They added that extra game, the BCS championship after the bowl games. I think that's in effect this year, right? That means that even if we were ranked 3rd, I think we would play the winner of the game between USC and Oklahoma so long as we won our bowl game. Although, they may seed the top 4 teams so that 1 plays 4 and 2 plays three, that would make sense, but I doubt the "championship" Bowl game, whichever one it is this year would allow that to happen, they're gonna want #1 and 2.

5. TejasTiger

Whoa, hold on there a minute. Think about what you're suggesting: for USC to go undefeated and NOT go to the Orange Bowl would call for the preseason #1 team in BOTH polls to go 11-0 and, somehow, FALL AT LEAST TWO SPOTS in the final pre-bowl polls.

Ain't gonna happen, in this lifetime or any other. All USC has to do is win and they're in. As Fiutak says in his SEC writeup this week, SEC fans should be "rioting in the streets" over the fact that strength of schedule has been taken out of the BCS.

Since we're speculating on OU/LSU/USC what ifs, here's what would happen poll-wise: USC remains #1 in both the AP and coaches but finish THIRD in the collective computer poll...which doesn't mean crap since said computer rating gets thrown out automatically if both the human polls are in agreement on a team.

Since I've now been sucked in to this issue that has about a 0.01% chance of actually happening, I'll say that, if all this happens, LSU jumps OU in the end because the team coming out of the SEC East should be stronger than whomever comes out of the Big XII North. Could come down to who lays the bigger beat down in their conference title game.

Again, waaay to early to be playing this game...

6. TejasTiger

Extra game goes into effect in 2006, I believe, not this season.

7. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Didn't you get the memo?

Hey, didn't you get the memo? LSU cannot be beaten by any team , college or pro. And God is their head coach, so they've got that goin' for them :rofl: :D :rofl: :D :rofl:

8. Gandalf

Gandalf Founding Member

Wrong Caddy, Nick's the big guy's boss.

By the way, I put the odds of there being three undefeated teams at 9999-1.

9. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

It doesnt work that way. It isnt a play-off, just an extra BCS bowl game played before the championship game. The #1 and #2 teams will be determined before the bowl season starts, just as before.

10. Gandalf

Gandalf Founding Member

Oh, that's right, they nixed the 4 and 1 idea because they "didn't want to extend the season". :po: