Justin Vincent is our Third String RB now...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mesquite tiger, Oct 14, 2004.

1. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

I was reading Dandy Don's update this morning. He said that on Saban's talk show last night the coach said That Broussard is the starter, and that he is being pushed hard for playing time by Addai. Vincent was not mentioned. I find it amazing how he has gone from Hero and MVP to an afterthought this season.

Another thing I saw this morning was on CNNSI.com about our QB situation. In it Saban said he does not know who will start for Troy, but that he has considered starting Flynn for the game. It is also in the Dandy Don update that the QB race is "very Tight" amongst all three of them per Saban.

Saban mum on QB situation

2. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

Amazing, yes. But, I understand Saban's position JV has not performed well this year and has alot of trouble putting the ball on the ground.

3. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Just as quick as JV rose to star and fell back down to earth he could rise back up...he's had a rough year but the guy has skills and will be back.

4. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

I hope he will turn it back around...sooo much potential there!

5. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Have I heard rumors of nagging minor injuries for Flynn and Vincent? That could explain things for both. Does anyone have info about this? Something about Flynn coming into camp with a shoulder injury. Don't know anything about an injury to Vincent. I certainly want to believe this could be the cause...

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I was a little confused by the comment about starting Flynn. Was he being sarcastic? I'm not sure. I'm a big Flynn supporter and want to see him on the field more, but I didn't think Saban was ready to start him yet.

7. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

And I can bet that his attitude is "I'll help the team any way I can". That's what I like about him. He's having an off year rushing wise, yet he's made some monster special teams plays.

Hats off to gamers like that.

8. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

The following article about Vincent was in The Advocate this morning...

LSU sophomore tailback Justin Vincent rushed for 1,001 yards and 10 touchdowns in less than a full season last year. He was Most Outstanding Player of the Southeastern Conference Championship game and Most Valuable Player of the Nokia Sugar Bowl, the BCS national championship game.
    Through six games this season, Vincent has 52 carries for 225 yards and two touchdowns. He fumbled in the first half against Mississippi State and Georgia and didn't have a carry in either game after he fumbled.

LSU coach Nick Saban said Vincent's struggles are more mental than physical.

"I don't think there's any difference in the way he's running," Saban said before practice Wednesday. "I think there's a little difference in how he feels about himself and the confidence that he's playing with right now."

Saban cited the so-called sophomore jinx, preferring to call it a psychological hurdle in which players create high expectations for themselves, then become frustrated and lose confidence when things don't go as planned.

"I think that's happened a little bit with Justin this year," he said.

Saban said he saw it coming in the spring.

"I tried to counsel him and talk to him about it," Saban said. "I think maybe now he realizes that sometimes you've got to hit rock bottom a little bit before you can start to come out of things.

"We expect him to play well for us the rest of the year and hopefully make some improvements and get some of his confidence back."

Will Vincent have more carries in the next few games?

"I see the guys getting carries that are doing well running the ball," Saban said.

"I don't know who you would suggest we take out of the game after the way Alley Broussard and Joseph Addai ran in the game, and also Shyrone Carey contributed in a positive way.

"There's a lot of competition there, and we're going to run the guys with the hot hand."

9. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

That answered that one! Thanks!!!

10. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Its also the matter of the offensive line. Last year, the line created gaping holes and cutback lanes. Vincent is a slasher type back who can hit the holes and take off in space. This year, those holes arent as big. Now a more physical type back (broussard and addai) is more appropriate. Before Vincent went off last year, there were rumors of him being made a DB.. possibly back in saban's mind?