Kansas law dogs steal kid.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 30, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Lol, "here's a guy, 6 foot 0, 190 lbs, these days runs a 4.5 40 then promptly passes out..." In my Mel Kiper voice

2. LaSalleAve

Some people are honest with their kids.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I have now read that she is/was a motivational speaker advocating the use of medical marijuana so I suppose it wasn't a secret to anyone. However, if she did choose to speak to him, then she failed to discuss repercussions of discussing outside the home.

I was referring more to the analgesic variety meds. Kids don't steal old folk meds out of the med cabinet, but they do steal things like oxy, vicodin, codeine, etc, even ADD or mood altering meds. I can't take anything stronger than Tylenol.

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

If one parent thinks the other parent is a bitch or an asshole....should they be honest and tell their kids that? Should a parent tell their 6-year old that they participated in 3-somes during college Or shot heroine in the past? There are adult issues, and child issues, and parents should keep the discussion honest but appropriate.

Let me tell you the downside to too much honesty. When I was in middle school we lived in a home that had a great ocean view and we were told it would never be obstructed. When I was 11, a developer started to grade the land and put up stakes for condos that were going to obstruct the view. My mother and a few other neighbors snuck down the hill in the middle of the night and pulled up all the stakes, chucked them in a big garbage bin. My mother told me and my sister, laughing. Well it was funny until the police came and my mother said they were going to talk to us (with her permission) and if we told the truth, she would end up in jail. So I lied....to the police....and it bothered me to an extent that it still impacts my opinion on such matters and of my mom.

5. LaSalleAve

You feel bad about lying to police to protect your mom and you feel differently about her because of it?

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Yes I do. I was taught to be honest and respect the law. And here my mom was telling me to lie to them even though she willingly broke the law! She took no responsibility for it and then put ME in the very uncomfortable position of lying to a police officer. I was scared shitless and I should never have been put in that position. It was hypocritical.

StaceyO, shane0911 and red55 like this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I think its pretty natural for most people to automatically lie to cops. Its called survival. ie. "I only drank 2 beers over a 5 hour period." "I've was out of town on that day." "My son was home all night. It must have been those hoodlum kids down the street."

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

It didn't feel natural for me. I should not have been put in that position.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Honestly, it is pretty stupid to lie to the police. Lying to the police is obstruction and is against the law. Failing to answer is not. If you don't know, say so, but don't lie.

The smart thing to do is say nothing more to the police than you have to if you are under suspicion. If they detain you and question you, you are probably under suspicion and if they read you your Miranda rights you are definitely a suspect and about to be arrested. ALL you have to answer is your name and in some states, your address and date of birth. Failure to do so is a misdemeanor. If they ask any other questions you may invoke your right to remain silent and speak to a lawyer. Whether or not you have been Mirandized, if you are detained by the police and questioned anything you say can and will be used against you as evidence, even if it just gives them a clue to other evidence that is admissible.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No, you shouldn't have. Pulling up those stakes was exactly the kind of thing my dad might have done, but if the police showed up he would have said, "You're goddamn right I pulled them up!"