Kapernick named person of year by GQ

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by el005639, Nov 13, 2017.

1. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

That’s not controversial, dummy

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Lol, GQ is trolling y'all.

3. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Pretty much.

4. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

That must be a magazine that has a circulation of about 14. Maybe up to 20 now that they have put that moron as their man of the year.

5. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Caters to metrosexuals nobody reads that rag anymore.

6. LaSalleAve

Think about it though. It's a protest, no one got hurt, the message got headlines, and all he had to do was bend the knee. Y'all realize this is nothing more than a wedge issue right? Designed to get people to foam at the mouth and hate the other side. It's certainly not important and hurt absolutely no one.

7. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

Lasalle as far as I am concerned it did hurt people.

The American Flag and Star Spangled Banner mean something to people who have a love and respect for what those 2 things represent. They represent the things our country believes in and the people who have given their life for the freedom we have. Freedom is not free and it has responsibilities. But it is their right to protest but it is my right to think their wrong for exercising that right during something that I believe is sacred.

And it sets a standard of disrespect. And if this guy really believed in what he was doing why is he willing to stand now just to get a job. I would have at least respected him for sticking to his guns.
    I will exercise my freedom to believe he is a wrong. And I am doing it peacefully not at my work.

He didn't just represent himself he represented every other person in the 49er organization. Whether they agreed with him or not. Keep that in your personal life and he can join Steve Kerr and Popovich and all the other actors and people who think because they are in the public domain that I want to hear their political views.

Do your protesting on your own time. Then you can protest peacefully whatever you want and people will continue to fight and defend your right to do so.

That's my 2 cents.

Winston1 and Bengal B like this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Well said. Kaepernick made his own pot. Let him stew in it. You have just as much right to protest at your own job, whatever it might be. Your employer has every right to refuse to continue to employ you. Try telling your story of woe to the bank that holds your motgage and your car not. Tell it to the electric company and the water company. Tell it to the grocery store. Soon you'll have plenty of time to tell it to everybody who comes near the park bench where you will be living.

9. LaSalleAve

I disagree, respectfully and I also appreciate the dialogue in a positive manner. I wouldn’t have done what he did personally, but I have no idea what it’s like to be an African American. This country has progressed when it comes to racism, but it still has a long way to go and the way I saw it, Kaepernick was kneeling because America is still plagued with a system of racial inequality. I have talked to numerous service men and women and the overwhelming majority said that what he did was part of the reason they fought and signed up. To protect the constitution, and rights within including the first amendment. I don’t agree with the it, I wouldn’t have done it, but it doesn’t bother me at all and I really have no clue why it bothers so many others.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Yes, they did fight so that punks like Kaepernick would have the right to protest peacefully in whatever way they saw fit. How many of those same people agree with what he did? I haven't seen any posts here by our former military members suppoting his actions.

And if Kaepernick thinks that disrespecting the symbol of what our heroes fought for will in any way stop racism he is very delusional.

Like it's already been said here many times, he has the right but the rest of us have the right to condemn his actions. Go ahead. You have the right to support him if you want.