Katrina and another lost athlete

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Deceks7, May 13, 2006.

1. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

The Texas Tech Track Coach had a GREAT stint at ACU and has been bringing high caliber talent to the South Plains since he came to Lubbock. One has to wonder though, how many of these displaced kids would have been a lock for LSU if they had not moved to different locales?

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/051306/col_051306015.shtml

Tech nabs top prep 800 meter runner

With the Big 12 Conference track and field meet beginning Friday, the Texas Tech track team announced it had signed the nation's premier high school 800-meter runner in Karjuan Williams for the 2006-07 season.
    Williams, a native of New Orleans who was relocated to New Bern, N.C., after Hurricane Katrina, trains with former all-American Nocholas Sparks at New Bern HS. He was named the 2006 indoor male athlete of the year by Track and Field News magazine with personal bests of 1:50.14 in the outdoor 800, 1:50.68 in the indoor 800, 47.14 in the outdoor 400 and 47.99 in the indoor 400.
    During the indoor season, Williams took first in the 800 at the LSU Invitational (1:51.00) and the Simplot Games in Idaho (1:50.74) and ran a meet-record 1:52.49 at the Indoor Nationals. He also anchored the 800 anchor leg of the sprint medley relay that won at the Indoor Nationals while placing second in the 400 at the Arkansas Invitational in a time of 47.89. Williams' signing brings the number of signees for the fall to 18 for head coach Wes Kittley.

2. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I think the best tradeoff here is that Louisiana lost a lot of "thugs." The government leeches aren't going anywhere because there are still some Republicans in power and to the contrary of what many think, this problem transcends political affiliations. Leeches will be here for the long-haul. Speaking of which... I wonder what's going on on Capitol Hill... That sure is a messy situation.

But, seriously, no doubt Katrina has screwed LA in innumerable ways. I fear that the worst of it hasn't even peaked. Hurricanes aren't going anywhere, and the season is only a couple of months away. If another hurricane were to hit this area, no matter the strength, it would be chaos. You'd have a mass exodus of people evacuating from a possibly miniscule 'cane.

Then there's the fact that a lot of the black and impoverished citizens are long gone from this area. I'm not trying to be racist, but that's a lot of talent right there. I guess it'll be good in the long run for THEM because they're getting a fresh start at life in a possibly better area with a better economy and better education. But damn, it hurts LA BADLY.

3. LSUFAN910

LSUFAN910 Founding Member

Republicans? You have the nerve to blame Louisiana's problems on republicans? You must have forgot that our stupid governor is a democrat. If Bobby Jindal would have won that election, Louisiana would not be in the shape it is in after Katrina. Mayor Ray Nagin, another Democrat, cost a lot of people their lives because of his decision making. So don't blame Louisiana's problems solely on Republicans.

4. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

So don't put words in my mouth... All I said was that the govt. problems TRANSCEND POLITICAL AFFILIATIONS. I guess those words are too big for your simpleton complex... in other words, IT'S EVERYONE'S FAULT, AND NO ONE'S FAULT, ALL AT ONCE. That is it... I thought that this all died months ago, and was the reason that there is now a seperate "Katrina" section.

I digress, I voted for Jindal, TWICE. Does that make it any better? No it doesn't matter who I voted for, what I said was that these problems are a lot more than simply just red or blue. :angryfire

5. clair

clair Rockets

I understand what you are saying now, but it sure as heck sounded like you were singling out republicans in your 1st message...

6. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Damn you GOP fanatics are a testy bunch. :cry: :rofl:

Back to the topic...
    I don't think it will hurt too much. I mean a lot of people are gone from the New Orleans area south but still have ties here. Everywhere else is back to normal.

7. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Hmm...I clicked on The Tiger's Den and somehow stumbled upon the FSA. Oh wait, no I didn't....:dis:

8. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

That would be stupid. There were mistakes on BOTH sides. I can't single out one bad democratic move without finding a similar bad move by the republicans, and vice versa. The good thing is that it has brought about a lot of change... wait. No it didn't. All that resulted has been finger pointing... :grin: Seriously though. I don't think anyone would be surprised that I am a democrat, but strangely enough, I've voted for the GOP 4/6 times in major elections and one was an independent. Does that mean that I'm conservative? Maybe so. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many strict-liberals in LA...Louisiana, that is.

9. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

The Farm Security Administration? :confused: I thought that had to do with the govt buying economically struggling farms during the Great Depression? Oh... you mean the Free Speech Alley? OK, that makes more sense... :grin:

10. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

A leech is a leech. It has no party affilitaion.