Kenny O'Neal visiting this weekend...

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by bayareatiger, Jan 29, 2004.

1. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

The Countdown to Signing Day show on Fox Sports South reported Wednesday that Kenny O"Neal, a Rivals 4-star WR, was visiting LSU this weekend, even though he is commited to FSU. They said that he is buddies with Xavier Carter...

Do we have a legit shot at this guy (or even another schollie for him if we can get him??)

2. philter

philter Founding Member

I can't imagine Saban and Co. giving out another schol. (assuming they have 1 left) to a WR....we are just so loaded there is doesn't make sense to do it when there are other very good players left at positions we could use.

I know it's great to have a glut of talent, and I'm not one to question St. Nick, but our WR/ATH talent pool is already overflowing, we likely won't be able to keep half of the WR core happy as is....if he does come then maybe Saban has an alternative position in mind for him or another WR.

I hope he doesn't try to convince XC to bolt to FSU :eek:

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Don't forget that Saban likes to move WRs/ATH to DB ... you can never have too much talent!

4. NHTIGER

NHTIGER Founding Member

Would be shocked if O'neal is visiting this weekend

Read a story on him this week in the online version of the Oakland Tribune and he and his coach aggressively pursued FSU, rather than the usual other way around. He committed to them just this week after his official visit last weekend. I do realize that Insiders has had him taking an official visit to LSU this weekend for 5 weeks now but Insiders never updates those visits list at all (they are almost never right on them this year as far as LSU is concerned). Now, CTSD is a different animal I suppose and I cannot question what you heard them say or what their source was. But is obvious that if in fact O'neal were to visit LSU this weekend it would be for the fun and the food. Would be very surprised if the kid wanted to make a cross-country trip 2 weekends in a row as well. The only other potential reason to visit the Tigers this wekend would be at Papa Bowden's urging, just to get LSU's hopes up after the JaMarcus Russell steal of last year. (This is tongue-in-cheek reasoning of course, before someone takes that last comment seriously!). O'neal is incredibly fast - Georgia state sprint champion as a sophomore! - and I am sure Saban woudl have taken him as a bookend to X Carter if he could have gotten him.

5. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Jeez-

Nice job NH!

Reading the paper 30 miles up the road from me from across the continent!!!

I only read the San Jose Merc (mostly for Bayless) and the SF Chronicle (along with USA Today, of course). My local paper, The Argus, is owned by the Trib group but they get stories in The Oakland paper that I don't get....

Thanks for the update!

Will tune in to CTSB for further info...

6. alaman

alaman Founding Member

He is visiting. He and X man are friends and he wants to run track too

7. philter

philter Founding Member

I hope he's coming to learn about LSU, not coming to take XC back with him :p

8. DJ

DJ Founding Member

We may have room for O'Neal if Thaxton and Bell decide to go to other schools, which is probably a greater than 50% chance in both cases.

My guess is that he is coming to take advantage of the free entertainment and is not seriously considering LSU.

Frankly, with Doucet and Carter in the class, and Hill, Bowe and Davis in the class before him, he could legitimately conclude that his chances of seeing lots of playing time at LSU are not that great.

9. Tiger1958

Tiger1958 Founding Member

USC SUCK.

LOL.

10. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

You can never have too many WRs on your team. Look at USC, they are also loaded with WRs, but so far this year they've already picked up Michael Bumpus, a 4 star WR and Fred Davis, a 5 star WR. Cameron Colvin, another 5 star WR, is also said to be a silent commit.