Kenny O'Neal visiting this weekend...

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by bayareatiger, Jan 29, 2004.

1. alaman

alaman Founding Member

He called LSU and requested the visit. Has called numerous times. He is pursuing LSU

2. NHTIGER

NHTIGER Founding Member

That's strange. he called FSU several times

requesting a visit!!!!!! Pert the Oakland Tribune. Quite a coincidence, doncha think ??

3. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

He's goin' to FSU

Here's the story from today's Oakland Tribune:...

Skyline's O'Neal selects Florida State
    By David Schoen, STAFF WRITER

OAKLAND -- The Florida State football team is known for speed, and the Seminoles got a little faster on Monday.

Skyline High wide receiver Kenny O'Neal made a verbal commitment to play for the Seminoles after visiting the school over the weekend. O'Neal's commitment is non-binding and the first day he can sign a letter-of-intent is Feb.4. Florida State's coaches cannot comment on O'Neal until that time.

"It almost didn't happen," Skyline coach John Beam said. "Kenny said 'Coach, I'm interested in Florida State.' I didn't know how to get hold of them, so I called information. I called and left a message, and no one called back. I left a message like every day for a week, and no one ever called me back. I said I'll call one more time, and I finally got the guy."

Beam sent Florida State a tape after Christmas, and the Seminoles coaching staff was sold after seeing it. Offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Jeff Bowden made a trip across the country to meet with O'Neal and his family, and O'Neal visited Tallahassee over the weekend.

O'Neal could not be reached for comment on Monday. He picked Florida State over Georgia, Florida, LSU, USC and Oregon.

O'Neal, who transferred from Benedictine Military School in Savannah, Ga., as a junior, is one of the fastest players in the nation. The son of former NFL tight end Kenny O'Neal, he won the Georgia state 5-A 100-meter title as a sophomore and finished second at the California track and field championships last June.

Over the summer, O'Neal ran a 10.40 100 meters at the USA Junior Track and Field Championships at Stanford to earn a spot on the Pan Am Junior National squad.

O'Neal used that blazing speed to become one of the most dominating players in the East Bay. He caught 36 passes for 807 yards and scored 20 total touchdowns on the way to becoming a first-team All-ANG Newspapers selection.

"Kenny just blew people out with his speed," said Beam, who coached a former NFL wide receiver in Will Blackwell. "He can just do so many things. Because he's so physically strong, he can just manhandle people.

"We've had some fast kids, but he's the fastest obviously. You could see it on a football field. He just takes off, and he can go up and get the ball."

Beam said O'Neal liked the small-town Southern atmosphere at Florida State.

"They don't come out here that much to recruit," Beam said. "It's a different way of life. In talking to Kenny, he just liked that."