Kentucky Has hired former tiger coach Mike Archer as DC.....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerLifer3, Jan 19, 2003.

1. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

guess new coach Rich Brooks was getting as desperate as Bama. oh lord, what was they thinking??

2. -T-

-T- Founding Member

Archer is a good assistant coach, but not head coach. you don't spend 6 or 7 years on an nfl staff if you can't coach

3. Trentster

Trentster Founding Member

Head Coach again????

On the Tommy K. show on JBO this morning. Tommy said that the move would possibly put Archer in line to rejoin the head caoching ranks in the SEC again one day. Then his board op. asked if it was possible for Archer to return to LSU as head coach when Saban leaves. Tommy K said he thought the was a real posibility. -- What was he smoking this weekend??? He should have laughed the board op right off the air.

I think the real reason Archer went back to KY was the fact his son plays baseball there and the Steelers are cleaning house on the defensive side.

4. lsu nut

lsu nut Founding Member

I like Archer......

I think he was a decent coach, however he was not that good at recruiting. He won his first two years off of Arnsparger's talent. I also seem to remember him in an interview a few years back saying he made mistakes when he became HC at LSU---primarily I think he said he tried to hard to be friends with the players and let team discipline slide because of that.

While I don't think he will ever be in BR as a coach again I think he deserves another shot somewhere. I also know that he still has friends in the BR area.

I hope he does well at Kentucky just as long as they dont beat LSU.

5. I hope he does well too but I think it is a major impossility of coaching at LSU again. I think the Board of Supervisors would see that as ticket sales suicide.

6. eric d

eric d Founding Member

Just ask yourself this question. Did you always do everything right the first time you did it? I know I didn't, but I usually learned so that I would do better the next time. Mike Archer's first head job was at LSU, and he was young and inexperienced. There is no reason to think he couldn't have learned a few things. Of course, I don't want him coaching the Tigers again.

7. tigerfanintampa

tigerfanintampa Founding Member

I was watching ESPN Classic this weekend and they showed the 1987 LSU/UGA game. They said that LSU's QB coach was Ed Zaunbrecher (sp?). Is this the same EZ that is the OC for Florida now?

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Archer was a very good DC for LSU in the Arnsparger years. But, he was way too young for the head coach job and made plenty of mistakes. He will be a head coach again if he is interested, now that he has some maturity, he always was smart and energetic.

Like Dinardo, he was fired with a winning record at LSU. He had to go because of the discipline problems on the team were out of control, including racial disharmony and criminal activity.

He'll never coach at LSU again, because he angrily denounced LSU as having treated him unfairly, and did so publicly. He blasted LSU for weeks after his firing in the national media and displayed no style at all. Influential people have not forgotton.

As bad a coach as Curley Hallman was, he took his firing like a man and was very gracious to LSU in parting company. Dinardo was less gracious, but never denounced the school.

Mike Archer will never coach at LSU again.

9. To Tampa Tiger...

One and the same. I think Ed had been at Marshall just before getting on Zook's staff at UF.

10. tigerfanintampa

tigerfanintampa Founding Member

Thanks H20 Tiger. I'm going to have some fun with the Gators on the Gator board with that one. They absolutely hate Ed Z. and Ron Z. isn't far behind. I'm going to remind them of what promoting an assistant with no head coaching experience did to LSU and imply that UF is in for the same. :D