Kerry for president

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, Mar 17, 2004.

1. ColonelHapablap

ColonelHapablap Founding Member

While I tend to agree that it will be a landslide, be careful about assuming an easy win. His dad thought the same thing. I mean, in the spring of 1992 did anyone really think Bill "I didn't Inhale" Clinton had a chance?

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

:shock:

3. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

hmm...

looks like we are spending 75 billion this YEAR to help rebuild Iraq and fund the war. Big difference between that and the 1.7 billion Bush said it would cost.

Are there not things here in America that money could be used for?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4557891/

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

you need to be more honest. in your article, it was NOT BUSH who said it would cost 1.7 billion. repeat: YOU ARE LYING.

5. mesquite tiger

sorry...my bad...somebody working under Bush said it. reflects on your boss, you know.

On April 23, 2003, Andrew S. Natsios, head of the U.S. Agency for International Development, laid out in a televised interview the costs to U.S. taxpayers of rebuilding Iraq. "The American part of this will be $1.7 billion," he said. "We have no plans for any further-on funding for this."

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

there is a huge difference between the guy from USAID and george bush you cant attribute words of one to the other. its this kind of irresponsibility and recklessness with the facts that spreads misinformation. bush never said to me the war would be cheap and easy, and i have seen him speak on the subject many many times.

to claim that bush said the war (and the fight on terror) would be cheap or easy is nothing more than a cheap politically motivated lie.

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I think a major flaw in many Bush supporters minds is that Terrorist Cells are at the present running scared. This is not the case. Attacks are still going on and new members are still be recruited. In some areas of the world this is happening openly.

I agree with many aspects on the war on Terror, but the war in Iraq was rather pointless. There are no WMDs, and the administration knew it all along. Is the post Sadamm world any safe? I don't think so. Sadamm was not a threat. The people of Iraq are better off as long as our presence remains, but once we leave the new government will likely fall.

I think we should go to the places where Al Queda is operating. Namely Somalia, Indonesia, and the Phillipenes. This debackle in Iraq is rather detrimental to the elimination of terrorist cells. We are quite simply streched to thin and don't have the international support to carry out the military and social objectives of this war.

From talking to friends who have done tours in Iraq they say the mass populace was for Sadamm's removal, and also for a permanent US presence. They still think things will go back to the way it was. The masses in Iraq are terrified that they will have anoter extremeist regime after the US pulls out.

That all being said, I won't vote for Kerry. I won't vote for Bush either. I can't agree with much of what Kerry says, and Bush has been an utter failure.

Maybe Allen Keyes will run as an independent. Keyes/McCain 04.

8. mesquite tiger

martin, please tell me you do not believe this figure was given to the US people without the prior consent of George Bush, especially on a topic this touchy.

I have too much respect for you to think you would believe this.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

i do not know if USAID says what bush tells them to say. it seems unlikely, but i do not know. i know their website claims they are an independent government agency, so they are at least officially not under white house supervision.

i think its quite an assumption to think that bush put those words in that man's mouth, especially when my personal recollection of everything bush said before and now during the way indicates he thinks wars are neither cheap nor easy.

i do know that it is incredibly irresponsible to claim his words are bush's like you did earlier in this thread.

it seems pointless to claim bush said things, then have to correct yourself when it turns out it wasn't bush, then claim bush must have told him to say that. let's just stick to what bush actually said and not waste time arguing that bush must have put word's in other people's mouths.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Quote by LSUsupaFan,
    I think a major flaw in many Bush supporters minds is that Terrorist Cells are at the present running scared. This is not the case. Attacks are still going on and new members are still be recruited. In some areas of the world this is happening openly.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You say this is a major flaw, right now in Pakistan their is a fire fight going on and 1 of
    Al-Quada top dogs are now trapped.
    Attacks are going on but you say their recruiting new members.
    Where exactly are they training these new members at?
    You can't get new members and not have a training camp to train them in.
    How many of Al-Quada and Sadaam members have been captured or killed?