Kerry releases Yale transcripts

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Mystikalilusion, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Certainly. But there are a lot of really intelligent folk who are completely bored with the pace/depth of their courses, and thuse are subject to distractions and disinterest (which lead to the other shortcomings)

Am I saying that it's useless? If you got that idea, you would first have to find where I said that intelligence was the only pertinent thing. Serisouly, where'd you get that idea? Hell, I put hard work above intelligence (in keeping with your employer reference).

2. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Further reading of this thread will definitely negatively impact anyone's intelligence. I now lack the motivation to read it.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Well, I typed up a response about my work ethic/classes I've taken and decided it wasn't worth posting. I don't like feeling like I'm trying to brag to people & my capabilities are pretty irrelevant here.

I still say that an intelligent person is capable of doing anything a regular person can do (and more), but with less effort.

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Also, some really intelligent people just don't respond well to the structure and restrictions of academia. Some people can read books and such about things that interest them, at their own will and pace, and often be far more well-versed on a subject than someone who took a course on it. School only serves as a gateway for a career, which isn't a necessity in assessing one's intellect.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I see it all the time. Highly intelligent students who happen to be low achievers and never take complete advantage of their natural gifts. Many are complacent, content with the C or B that they get without even studying. They often get waxed by less intellectually gifted students who are high achievers and simply study harder, take things more seriously, and are motivated.

Those rare persons who are naturally gifted and also high achievers can usually write their own ticket.

6. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Say hello to me. My Dad always told me that I never applied myself...and looking back, he was right.

7. Mystikalilusion

Mystikalilusion Founding Member

*shrinks away from the conversation*

Luckily I turned the lack of motivation around when I hit the workplace, but that's definitely the summary of my high school/college years.

8. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Same here. The opportunity to maximize earning potential tends to light a fire under even the most complacent person's arse.

9. Mystikalilusion

Mystikalilusion Founding Member

True that.

The funniest scholastic experience of my life was scoring a 30 on the ACT and attending the early thing LSU offers for HS seniors. All my classmates were like what is he doing here, since I was academically last in almost all of my advanced and AP classes. True to form, I partied at Chimes both nights before testing and ended up only placing out of one class.

In reflection, who schedules a placement test in Spanish at 8am in the morning. Really. . .

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

actually a gift greater than intelligence is the ability to stay self-motivated. everyone thinks their kid or themselves are in the smartest group though lack focus.

seems there's an abundance of "self-proclaimed" intelligence and a void of reality.