Kevin Steele will be named New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerz0202, Jan 13, 2015.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Not everyone is the same. Some you have to stay on, some want to learn with no push at all. It doesn't take long to find out on each. Some need to be micro managed. Others hate it. Take the Harbaugh brothers, Jim likes to micro-manage. John lets you do your job.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I prefer folks who know a lot and can't reveal it all over those who don't know shit and tell us what they don't know anyway. If I want to get a feel for what coaches say to each other, I listen to Dad. If I want to get a feel for what the emotional fanboy trauma of the day is, I listen to . . . somebody else.

didit and LSUDad like this.
  3. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I appreciate Dad's knowledge and insight. However, I'm with Shane when it comes to mentioning confidential information. If it can't be disclosed publicly, don't mention it.
    Now for the bad. I've just about given up hope that he will ever learn to link an article rather than posting the entire text. IconLOL.gif

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    LSUDad likes this.
  4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Pete's take on the hire:

Pete Jenkins' take on Steele hire
    LSU’s search for a defensive coordinator officially ended on Tuesday night when Alabama linebackers coach Kevin Steele was tabbed as John Chavis’ replacement.

[​IMG]
    Longtime LSU coach Pete Jenkins likes the Kevin Steele hire
    There were mixed reactions of the hire by LSU fans and the thing that many pointed to the most was Steele’s last year as defensive coordinator at Clemson in 2011 when his unit was ranked 71st in the country in total defense.

That overshadowed his other three years as a coordinator in 2007 at Alabama where the Crimson Tide were 26th in total defense, and his first two years at Clemson from 2009-10 when the Tigers were 20th and 19th in total defense, respectively.

Longtime defensive line coach on the college and NFL level, Pete Jenkins, who has more than 42 years of experience and is considered one of the best in the game, feels that LSU made a good hire.

“In this world today it’s what have you done for me lately and look Kevin had a tough year that year,” explained Jenkins. “But, he’s got a good background in football and he has been around some really good coaches to where I think he is going to make LSU a really good coordinator.”

Jenkins has known Steele for a long time even going back to when Steele was a teenager and he coached him at a South Carolina camp when Paul Dietzel was in charge of the Gamecocks.

Jenkins, who spent 12 of those 42 years at LSU from 1980-90 and 2000-01, feels that LSU’s staff on the defensive side of the ball got stronger with the developments over the last two days of Steele and Ed Orgeron joining the Tiger staff.

“I think Kevin will be really good,” stated Jenkins, who is known for being one who does not sugarcoat things. “He’s a really knowledgeable football guy and I think when you put Kevin with Ed, Corey (Raymond) and (Bradley Dale) Peveto, you have a heck of a defensive staff. The defensive staff at LSU right now is tremendously strong.”

Jenkins said fans looking for something else to point to as to what others think of Steele’s credentials as a coach can find it in Nick Saban’s decision to bring him back on his staff after he left in 2008.

“Kevin left coach Saban then coach Saban took him back in an off the field position then put him back on the field this year when he had an opening,” explained Jenkins. “Saban did for Kevin what he has done for a lot of people and that is revitalize their career. And coach Saban wouldn’t take someone back if he didn’t think highly of him.”

One of the questions that Tiger fans have regarding Steele as the man in charge on that side of the ball pertains to what type of scheme he will run.

LSU has been a base 4-3 front since Les Miles has been at LSU. That, however, could change to some degree.

“I would think he will probably base out of a 3-4, but I don’t know that for certain,” said Jenkins. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he bases out of a 3-4 then plays 4-3 on long yardage just like coach Saban does.

“Coach Arnsparger would say 3-4 equals seven and 4-3 equals seven. So, they are both seven man fronts, it’s just spacing is the difference. There’s eight gaps up front so somebody in the secondary has to help you with one of those gaps no matter what.”

The jury will be out on Steele as a coordinator until the 2015 season rolls around since it will have been four years since he called the shots on defense.

Jenkins said he feels that Steele is the right man for the job and that the Tiger defense is in good hands from top to bottom.

“I think that defensive staff is going to be as strong as any defensive staff in the country,” he said. “And every year I work with nine college staffs and pro staffs. That is as good of a defensive staff as you will get together under one roof.”

lsu-i-like likes this.
  5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

That's a train of thought I don't follow.

In long yardage situations, Saban has put four on the line, but a 4-3? Heck, about 80% of the snaps in the last few years have been out of a nickel package with two linebackers. It makes me wonder what Jenkins has seen; more precisely, IF he's seen. The only thing I can come up with is he's seen a safety roll up in run support but he's calling that player a linebacker? He's certainly not looking at the STAR position sliding up as another 'backer, right?

Secondly, outside of his time with Saban, Steele has been a 4-3 guy. It's the defense he used at Clemson.

Lastly, and here's really where I'm left scratching my head, when I look at the roster I see two guys from that 2014 team that may be able to man the NG position; Bain and Gilmore. I realize there's still a third of the class of 2015 left to fill, but as of today there's not a defensive lineman on the verbal list—more importantly not a prototypical NG.

You guys remember this from a decade ago. That NG spot isn't suited well for the taller, quicker, lighter defensive end types.

I have a hard time seeing Steele make that move away from the 4-3 given the personnel.

Geez...longing for spring camp to start already.

LSUDad likes this.
  6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I realize this is your opinion and I'm not knocking it at all. There's part of it that is spot on, part of it that is missing the mark. Here's an example:
    Thompson is one of the better recruiters in college football. No doubt. Steele, on the other hand, has the same advantage in Baton Rouge as he did in Tuscaloosa: the color shirt he's wearing. To have a coach persuade kids to sign and he's helped—to a great extent—by the logo in his shirt isn't a bad thing, at all.

The article you linked and specifically the quote you pasted tells the story of Steele and his departure from Tuscaloosa: a good portion of it at least.

Posts like this one do not.

LSUDad likes this.
  7. red55

Terry, Pete Jenkins knows what he is talking about when it comes to defense.

“Coach Arnsparger would say 3-4 equals seven and 4-3 equals seven. So, they are both seven man fronts, it’s just spacing is the difference. There’s eight gaps up front so somebody in the secondary has to help you with one of those gaps no matter what.”

P&G_wheelz007 and LSUDad like this.
  8. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

Someone asked Pete to do some damage control to calm the angry masses down.

9. red55

I doubt that Pete gives a shit about the angry fanboy masses.

10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

If you know Pete, he don't work that way. Pete spent time with the O...

"A source tells CoachingSearch.com that veteran defensive line coach Pete Jenkins will join the USC coaching staff.

Jenkins and USC interim head coach Ed Orgeron have been close for years. In his 45-year coaching career, Jenkins coached with eleven different organizations including the Philadelphia Eagles, LSU, Auburn, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, South Carolina, and Southern Miss.

During his career, Jenkins has developed 17 All-SEC defensive linemen and over 30 future NFL players. Most recently, Jenkins had been living in Santa Rose Beach, FL."

More:

"USC interim Coach Ed Orgeron says he's happy to have Pete Jenkins on his staff.

Jenkins' hiring as a defensive line assistant was made official a few hours before last Thursday's game against Arizona, and he was on sideline at the Coliseum during the Trojans' 38-31 victory.

USC was off Saturday, but Orgeron spent hours huddled with the 72-year-old Jenkins, who has worked for the Philadelphia Eagles, Louisiana State and numerous other college programs in the South.

Orgeron said the experience "was like Christmas for me."

Orgeron was the first coach on the field for Sunday's workout, demonstrating drills.

"He's just a plus to be here," Orgeron said of Jenkins.

A little More:

"USC is in the process of adding veteran defensive line coach Pete Jenkins to its staff, interim Coach Ed Orgeron said Tuesday.

Jenkins, 72, coached at Louisiana State and numerous other college programs in the South before joining the Philadelphia Eagles' staff in 2006. Jenkins retired after the 2009 season.

USC has only three defensive coaches. Orgeron oversees the defensive line, Mike Ekeler linebackers and defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast also coaches defensive backs.

"After about a week of being the head coach, the defensive line coach and the recruiting coordinator, and the guy in charge of discipline and this and that, I felt I could use a hand," said Orgeron, who added Jenkins' hiring was expected to become official soon.

[​IMG]
    Orgeron said Jenkins has worked for USC as a consultant several times and had planned to consult again before "all this happened."

Orgeron was named interim coach after Lane Kiffin was fired Sept. 29.

Orgeron called former California coach Jeff Tedford last week to gauge his interest in helping the Trojans. Tedford, who would have assisted on offense, passed.

Orgeron said Tuesday he learned defensive line technique from Jenkins.

"If I want to go to the offense for a couple of drills or something like that, I have a very qualified guy there," Orgeron said.

During Thursday night's game against Arizona, Pendergast and graduate assistant Ross Cumming will oversee the defensive line, Orgeron said.