Key Matchup: LSU Defense vs. Auburn Offense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bandit88, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Crazy busy this week, of all weeks. So my second key matchup column will be a forum post - mostly so I can do this quickly and get back to work.

Everyone knows the key players in this strength against strength matchup. Auburn's SEC leading offense against LSU's SEC leading defense. Sheppard vs. Newton.

Most folks also know by now that the key to keep Newton from another 300 yards of total offense in a single game is to not overplay him. Forget about trying to keep him under 100 yards rushing. Just keep him from converting 3rd and long. If Newton has 150 yards rushing, but Auburn is 5-15 on 3rd down, LSU wins. Containment. Newton isn't shifty. He's deceptively fast. He's smart with the football. But he's not going to sneak through a tiny seam with a lightning fast shift. So disciplined play by the LSU front 7 will be the key to this game. But that's all been said.

Here's another key matchup. And one that I think is almost as important as LSU's QB play. LSU's CB play.

If LSU's corners can reliably play "on an island" (without dedicated safety support), then Chavis is going to be able to bring the pressure (unblocked blitzer - Tyrranasaurus, for instance), without sacrificing gap discipline. If the blitzer doesn't make the play, he at least flushes Newton into the waiting arms of the LSU front 7 (or if Tyrranasaurus is in the game, front 6).

To work, however, the Tiger CBs have to prove they can man-up on Auburn's wideouts. And the LBers have to be able to read and cover the releasing TE or RB.

Fortunately for LSU, they have GREAT cornerbacks.

Auburn's Offensive Players to Watch:

QB Cam Newton
    RB Ontario MCalebb
    RB Michael Dyer (healthy?)
    WR Darvin Adams

2. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

I think the key Bandit might be our running the ball and being smart enough to pass on 1st down often and making the smart play.

We don't give them points and we have some real ground let the clock roll drives this game will be about LSU pounding the ball! I love how LSU wins the line each game but I hate how by giving points away we have not took complete control of say the WV or Gator games.

Win the line on both sides - run the ball well - don't give away points.!

The LSU Tigers win !

Geaux Tigers

3. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Cam Newton goes over 100 yards rushing? Really? I would be suprised if the LSU D doesn't try to stop him from running as priority number one. Make him beat you with the pass.

Maybe he is that good, I don't know but if LSU can sack him a couple of times in the game I think that gets subtracted from his rushing yardage, doesn't it?

If Newton does go over 100 rushing that seems like more than likely an Auburn win....

4. Coastal

Coastal Freshman

Make Newton throw.

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Good analysis. Goes along with Miles statements of not necessarily having a spy on Newton, but rather control the trenches and have our DB's be able to man up on the WR's allowing the LB's to cut off the underneath stuff and prevent any game changing big runs out of Newton.

6. Bandit88

Well, there goes any credibility I may have had... :thumb:

7. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

If you can take away cam's running with solid front play he will be forced to throw the ball. He will throw away from pp7 like everyone has all year. That puts the pressure on mo. If mo steps up and has a career game he will make cam pay. When cam gets shaken and starts to doubt his ability to pass on this tiger d he will be more inclined to tuck and run thus playing into our strength - the strong center of our d - Nevis and shep. The key is mo stepping up and force cam to run.

8. Bandit88

ergo. :hihi:

9. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

If he can't throw because our corners are playing lock tight and cam tries to take the game on his shoulders alone our d can contain him and shut down the au offense.