Kick the field goal or go for it on 4th down?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TenTexLA, Oct 7, 2007.

1. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

Would Coach Miles predecessor kick the field goal or go for it on 4th down? I think he would have kicked the field goal and played for OT. Realistically I don't know of any coach anywhere ever going for it on five 4th downs. Anybody ever heard of this happening before? And then go 5 for 5 on 4th down plays to win the game. This game will go down in Tiger Stadium history as one of the greatest. This was CLM's finest hour to date as a Tiger. :crystal::crystal:

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Irrelevant. :) :)

3. psulions2007

psulions2007 Founding Member

If it makes you feel any better, you probably would have lost under this "predecessor."

Now we can stop talking about him. lol

4. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

I think it could be safe to assume a couple of things here.

1. it is VERY likely that Les Miles is a better coach than Saban and would have won the NC in 2003 himself.
    2. see my post about gambling. Sometimes it is not the best to play conservative ball.

I agree he is a fine Tiger. Coach Miles deserves this win!

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I am a gambler by nature, so I would have gone for it myself. Miles doubled the amount of respect I had for him last night. He is so gutsy I bet he would double down the hard 12.

6. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

Coach Miles showed us he has some very LARGE "MARBLES". I like his all out commitment to winning. I wonder how many other coaches were watching and cringing with each gamble? Large gains require large gambles.

My pard tells me that Miles, knowing that SC had already lost, was probably thinking that a loss would not be tragic. I think he just knew the reward for winning would be even greater.

Coach definitely has the Heart of a Tiger! Thanks, Coach, for a great game and some indelible memories.:eek:ldskule:

:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige

7. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

You're at home, need the win, gotta validate #1, kicker's a bit rusty tonight... make a statement.

I think that it's safe to assume that in that situation, it's no longer an option whether you kick or go for it. I believe "that other coach", as Miles would say, would have probably done the same thing, as would most.

8. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I'll admit it, at the time I thought it was a mistake. But that's why I don't make 2 million per year.

9. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

How about not wanting to go for the tie because he didn't want to get in to an overtime situation against CUM and T-boy.:nope:

10. G8TR55

G8TR55 Freshman

Go for it or lose. He has was it takes to win. That's why you are no. 1 Good coach and congrats you guys.

Hope to see you in ATL, but we have SC and Kentucky... so it's one game at a time.