kicker icing rule

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by clair, Oct 9, 2007.

1. clair

clair Rockets

that is a dumb rule.

i can't wait until the day the kicker misses the once he is iced on then drills the real one.

they need to change that rule to where once the offense is set, or inside of 10 secs on the play clock, they can't do it.

2. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. Of course that will happen...I'm a bit surprised it hasn't happened already.

I'm not sure what to do about the rule, if anything. It kind of kills some of the drama, but then creates more drama of its own. This only became an issue once they allowed coaches to start calling time outs.

3. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

Then don't allow coaches to call time outs in the last <whatever> seconds of the play clock. They cut the radios in the QBs helmets off with 15 seconds left on the playclock. Do the same with coaches timeouts.

4. khounba

khounba Founding Member

All I know is that the Auburn game and the Cowboy game last night is the only times I mildly respected a kickers abilities, even if it was only for a couple minutes. If I were a kicker I would like the rule. It makes the victory that much sweeter.

I do agree that making a team run a play for no reason is asking for an injury. Wait until a defensive player gets rolled up on for a play that doesn't count. That's when teams will stop doing it or the rule will change.

5. Carface

Carface What the...?

Couldn't the coach just tell the players to call time out at the last second?

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Yes, but if a plyer stand up and starts frantically signalling a time-out, chances are the other team will see, and the full play won't be run. Which would reduce the risk of injury on a play that doesn't exist.

7. clair

clair Rockets

BINGO.

8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Or until the kick is blocked on the first go-round. That'd be even funnier.

It definitely is lame. They shouldn't be able to say 'I'm going to call a T.O. in a few seconds, so just stay right here and wait until I utter the magic word.' You want a time out? Run out to the ref screaming your head off to get his attention like you do every other time.

1 person likes this.
  9. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Exactly. Watched Meyer when he pulled that on Auburn. Almost made the ref seem like a co-conspirator. It was obvious what Meyer was gonna do. Was thinking at the time that it's be pretty damned funny if the ref looked at him after the ball was kicked and said, "Huh ?"

1 person likes this.
  10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

That would be AWESOME! :lol:

Another angle on this whole thing is that, really, you're just giving the kicker two looks at the same FG attempt. That doesn't seem like a good idea. Sure, it's worked a couple of times, but I bet if it happens over and over, you'd start seeing more guys hit the second one. Same angle, same rush, same wind/field conditions, same crowd noice, same pressure. Why let him have two shots at it?