Kickoffs

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Beaux-Bo, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

Did it look like Jackson kicked a lot of balls out of the endzone last night? Why would you kick that high hanging kick when his leg appears to be stong enough this year to kick it out of the endzone? Is his leg stronger this year than last?

2. LSU Rubi

LSU Rubi Founding Member

Same thing crossed my mind too...is probably the new t...but i thought that was to allow more returns??

3. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

the new t was suppose to be allow for more returns. Obviously it didn't phase jackson in the least.

4. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

I've never seen him kick it remotely that far before. I also thought the new tees were supposed to limit kicking distance. He must have done some serious leg workouts after his injury last year. That is, didn't he get hurt?

5. jimbeaux

jimbeaux "Have a Great Day"

This is my guess...., if you kick it through the endsone everytime, you know they're going to get it on the 20..... why not kick it short hoping for a another turnover.

6. edyel

edyel edyel

Special teams I would think. If you are confident your players can make a turnover go for it,otherwise start at the 20.:lsup:

7. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Yeah, but it was a shoulder injury wasn't it?

I too thought it was odd kicking it out of the endzone every KO. Sh!t, why not try to pin them inside the 10??

8. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

If I remember correctly, Saban wanted Jackson to kick it as high as he could to the goal line, not through the endzone. This allowed our coverage team to stop them before the 20. This philosophy carried over to last year with the new coaching staff.

The new tee makes it more difficult to kick it high, so I think they told Jackson to bang it through the endzone this year.

9. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

Would you rather kick to a Skyler Green and give him a chance or force a team to go 80 yards against your D in order to score?

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

It's hard to argue with the success of our kick coverage team the past 5 or so years. There were many times when the opponents started inside the 20.

If the new tee won't allow Jackson to get the hang time, then yeah, kick it through the endzone.