Kids homework

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Sep 2, 2014.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I aim high too (I like the phrase) and about 30 - 40% routinely flunk, but are promoted regardless by the principal. I sleep well at night, too! And when the high school guys start shitting on me for sending over kids not remotely ready, I simple give the "Supply Corps Salute)...arms out at 45 degrees, palms up, with a stupid smile!

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm not suggesting that some kids don't come to college unprepared, but LSU no longer has remedial courses. If you aren't ready for freshman-level classes, it's off to USL or Baton Rouge Community College with you until you do. When I came to LSU in 1973, the average ACT was 20 and it was open-admission--all it took to be admitted was high school diploma. Now the average ACT is 25 with restricted admissions based on grades, scores, and more. And despite the restricted admission, enrollment has grown. So it is clear to me that college kid are coming in smarter than before despite the poor records of many Louisiana high schools. As Stacy mentions, there are a lot of poor students and many of them lag in the system. But clearly there are those who learn and excel, as well.

Agreed. We should be more like the Japanese sometimes.

This goes to you last point. Many kids DO respond well to more challenging work, even if most don't. Why can't we have it both ways? Fast track the high achievers, spend extra time with the slow learners, and steadily raise the standards for the average students.

But take a good look at those lists of higher-achieving countries like Finland, South Korea, China, and Sweden. They are countries with almost no minority populations. They have higher standards of achievement, too. It all comes back to the LCD. One size just does not fit all in a diverse country like the USA.

3. HalloweenRun

RED....you made my day...Now two of us are not worshipping at the feet of diversity. It has been lonely up here until now!!!!!!

4. red55

As poor as US high schools grade against other modern nations, US universities are another matter. 15 of the top 20 universities in the world are American. And those bright students from other countries line up to attend US universities, especially graduate schools. There is an apparently endless supply of very bright Indian and Chinese graduate students attending US universities.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Three

HalloweenRun likes this.
  6. HalloweenRun

That is the truest thing you have ever posted. Someone is doing a tremendous amount of educating at the 18 - 22 year old level, I presume you among others. It seems so simple to me that we could have the best K-12, too if we just TAUGHT at the right TIME and the right LEVEL

OBTW, what do you teach/instruct whatever the word you college folks use?

7. red55

I run a small research unit. My students are mostly graduate research assistants in environmental and geo sciences.

8. HalloweenRun

Sounds like you are living the dream. That is what all my job test/profilers say I should be doing. Congratulations.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Ok so I feel like I'm back in school, 2 to 3 tests a day, all kinds of homework, on top of that fundraisers, field trips, 4-H, jeans and pizza day, holy shit man.

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I throw fundraiser "stuff" in the trash. My kids are students, not salespeople. I have no time to do that for them. Pajama day and crazy hair day are the big ones in our district. Kids love them. Me, not so much.

The principal for our elementary school unleashed a rash of "new rules" the first week. The first PTA meeting took place on Tuesday night. Over 400 parents demanding her resignation and they've already gone to the district for help. One new rule? When playing tag on the field, children cannot use an open hand or tag any body parts. They may only use their fore fingertip to "tap" another child on the shoulder. Gawd. That should be fun to watch.