Kids with addictions

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by CajunlostinCali, Sep 8, 2015.

1. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

This is mine. 14 y/o angler LOVES him some all nighters on the water. Pretty easy to assume that our weekends are already planned. First pic is ugly (cell phone), caught it at 3:30 am yesterday. 125 pound bat ray. His biggest catch to date. Actually, I had a hand in on it but the catch was his. All these pics are off of a pier so there is the added challenge of getting that fish 25 feet up over the rail. 3rd pic was his first big ray, but only about 90 pounds. Last 2 are a couple of shovel nosed sharks. They are the proverbial "mud shark". Sea bass and so on...

Got himself plenty of chest beating catches but these stories have actual photos. Got 3 yellowtail 2 weeks ago. 1 was 65 pounds and the other was 28. Add to that day all of the bonita, sea bass, eels, squid and so on, this kid lives for fishing. I gladly pay for it because catching fish on a PS3 ain't never counted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LSUTiga likes this.
  2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

How the hell do you get them over the rail? You must be using some seriously heavy line.

3. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

That's some good stuff. Where bouts in Cali are you? Got a grandpaw lives in La Mirada(bout an hour south of LA) for years....he just moved to a new house in another town or whatever yall call em but still in the general area. Anyways I've been out there fishing a few times we caught yellowtail, albacore, sand and calico bass, halibut, sculpin, and a few other fish. The yellowtail really pull for their size. Biggest we caught was around 50lbs I imagine one 65lbs can get after it. Next trip out there not goin fishin though....gonna ride over into Arizona for some quail huntin

4. CajunlostinCali

Used a net to get him over the rail. Damn thing was bigger than the net. 60 lb. test got it done. Thought for sure the line would snap. Took about an hour to finally get him tired. Took 4 of us to get him up. Same 4 to get him back in!

San Diego. Yellowtail will work you pretty hard. Gotta get out on a full day because the yellow fin numbers have been the biggest since 97. Some of the best eating on earth right there. Due for a Mexico trip here soon. Gonna get the fish they say you can't have. Love it!

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

umm i still dont believe they got the big ones over the rail. i figured a grapple hook of some sort.

he deserves extra credit for getting these in and over. well done.

6. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Was that a typo, or all y'all catching tuna from the pier? That would be pretty awesome!

7. CajunlostinCali

off a boat. That was a half day trip. Saving up for the full day trips

KyleK likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

On a charter wouldn't the deck hand use a gaff to get big fish onto the boat.

Do those rays have stingers?

If your kid loves fishing he should be in Louisiana where the real fishermen live.

9. CajunlostinCali

You can use a gaff anywhere for hauling In big fish, but the other night, only thing on hand was a bait net. Gonna build a gaff soon for days at the pier.

Sting rays have stingers, bat rays don't. Cool visual though, this bat ray, once we had him on the deck stood up on the ends of his wings, like a defensive position. He let out a big groan and freaked me out a little. He was out of water a good while, thought we killed him but after about 10 minutes of massaging him in the water, he fired off outta there.

He has fished Louisiana, south of Sulphur. He knows what the sign says once you get over the Trinity.

Bengal B likes this.
  10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

That was the word I was looking for. Gaff we just built one a few weeks back out of stainless. Looked like a big treble hook.