Kiffin and Miles

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Chase4LSU, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

As I sit back and watch several videos from ESPN about Lane Kiffin's departure from Tenn to USC, I am reminded of several posts on here from fans wanting "Younger, hungrier" coordinators and coaches that "are willing to gamble and take chances." I take the Kiffin saga as a lesson of "Be careful what you wish for."

He is leaving UT in a state of disrepair. He told some recruits not to attend class because it would commit them to Tenn when he could use them at USC. Is this the kind of behavior that we want at LSU? Not to mention his gaffs and scandals that he and his players caused there. I understand that the Head Coach is not anyone's daddy in school that is entirely responsible for them, but he could have forced them off of the team or resulted to other means of getting rid of them.

Miles seems to have avoided major scandals by ejecting players (RP) when need be. He has his faults, but overall he is a decent coach. I just wonder if this has made anyone examine their views on the current coaches at LSU or not.

1 person likes this.
  2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

It definitely makes me appreciate Les' character and what he expects out of his staff and players. Tennessee's problem was that everyone with a functioning pair of brain cells could see Kiffin was a trainwreck in the making. This apparently flew above the heads of the entire AD. They didn't care b/c they wanted Fulmer out at all costs, so in that sense you're right, it's very much a cautionary tale. The problem was compounded, however, when Tennessee bought into Kiffin's hype machine instead of letting more rational heads prevail. So I don't necessarily see the move to force out Fulmer as a bad one, so much as it's a lesson in having a competent AD and realizing when you're making a deal with the devil when finding a replacement.

3. Chase4LSU

I agree with you to a point. If Fulmer was not what you wanted, fine, get rid of him. But don't buy into a hyped up trainwreck waiting to happen. I just think that some here are so intensely interested in seeing LSU suffer under Miles until he goes, then go in the opposite direction of the perceived faults of Miles when recruiting the new coach, regardless of consequences.

I know that there are several with valid criticism of Miles, some of which I share. And if Miles was fired or left, they would prefer a more rational approach than was taken by Tenn, and I think, USC. I just hope that if he does leave in the near future, we don't succomb to the flavor of the month or buy into hype.

4. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

Glad to have Les today and can only hope for a great year in 2010!!

see ya at the bash

1 person likes this.
  5. LSUTIgerSTL

LSUTIgerSTL Freshman

In watching the departure of Kelly from Cincinnati, Carroll to Seattle just ahead of the posse, Kiffin being totally selfish and very questionable in his calls to UT commitments it makes me very glad that the LSU head coach has character and principles. Mile's decision to pass on the Michigan job, one he could easily have gotten, demonstrates what I believe college football should be about. His commitment to develop RP as best he could and his ongoing integrity should be the basis of a solid program. He will get the pieces in place and won't run off if things get tough.
    I'm just sayin.........:miles:

4 people like this.
  6. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

This.

7. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Agreed, and I think the AD would take its time naming a replacement. Tennessee forced out Fulmer only a year removed from an SECCG game, so I have to believe it was a situation where he was "Tuberville'd" more than the general fan base was howling for his head. What Kiffin did the UT program I wouldn't even wish on Bama, incredibly shameful.

I'm starting to wonder if the NCAA hammer is starting to come down on USC, and they basically need a warm body to get them through whatever disciplinary action is taken. If that's the case, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

8. Chase4LSU

Well said. Integrity seems to be a negative trait with some AD's. I don't particularly see how Kiffin has any credibilty now

9. Chase4LSU

I think the sh!tstorm is brewing for them. I don't see Kiffin being able to keep his mouth shut. He will only be adding fuel to the fire

10. LSUTIgerSTL

LSUTIgerSTL Freshman

Kiffin has initiated enough 'minor' infractions in one year at UT to ensure that the NCAA looks even more closely at USC. USC has brought in some high octane fuel in the midst of a whole lot of smoke. He's a man of questionable practices and I suspect it won't turn out very well for USC. I'm just saying.....